Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: New MODding Tool: Total MODder V1.2 (Build 120.15 - Aug 29th)  (Read 59375 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
New MODding Tool: Total MODder V1.2 (Build 120.15 - Aug 29th)
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »

Total MODder V1.2 Released (Build 120.15 - Aug 29th)
New All-in-one MODding solution for IL-2

We have been using the JSGME for a long time for MODding the IL-2. It is a pretty basic tool, basically a File Copier with Backup and nothing else. It is something generic, not made specifically for our game, it overwrites files that could make you lost something you don't have in any other place, etc. Basically every big MOD was hold at least twice in our disks, and in a conscious analysis it is quite inefficient.

To make it really useful, I integrated to it the functions that the Il-2 Selector designed by Storebror provided, as you can see above. So now from a single program console we can:
   -MOD your game, adding or removing MODs by dragging and dropping.
   -Select the order of loading them (this is a big improvement respect of JSGME and direct MODS, etc, folders)
   -Adjust the memory settings of your Il-2 program
   -Edit directly configuration files from a single folder (see instructions for it), no complex tree with splited configuration files, everything now can be concentrated.

V1.2 corrects some bugs found by some users regarding il2fb.exe and il2fbPAL.dll creation. In page 4 of this thread are detailed new multi-profile external launching options since this version (and new Shortcut creation feature).
In (Build 120.15 - Aug 29th) some small bugs were corrected and improved functions in the management of the profiles. Now they are wutomatically sorted anytime.

First the beginning:
  -This Total MODder requires to work with a wrapper for the game which ONLY READS CACHED INFORMATION. I mean: you cannot load the game in any other way that with the wrapper (called il2fbPAL.dll) it needs to operate. None of the Files, MODs, #DBW, #UP# contents will be loaded directly except you specifically add those contents as MODs through the Total MODder.
  -I think that the most reasonable way of using it is placing the il2fbMODder.exe program in the Main Il-2 folder. With the activation it will made (except you exclude it) a backup of your previous il2fb.exe and will write the proper changes to the il2fb.exe and create a wrapper called il2fbPAL.dll required for the program to work.
  -All the information for the Total MODder is stored in its il2fbMODder.ini.

In the picture you are seeing a typical setting for a flawless configuration of the DBW. There are no buttons (I don't mean buttons files, I'm speaking about Windows Buttons in the GUI), so everything is managed by drags and drops now (there are too many things in the screen, that's why). First you have to configure your MODs folder (which is the place where you are supposed to have all your MODding stuff). I made the program to be 100% compatible with previous jsgme folders, as you can see in the picture.

Now you can set the order of the folders in the right view. That's very important! You can see the last folder chosen which is the contents of the MOD Activator for the DBW. I mean: the DBW_MODAct folder I created is where I placed all the #DBW directory of the distribution package of the Dark Blue World. Exactly the same should be done for UP3.

And as you can see I left this DBW_MODAct folder in the last position, because it's the base over what all the rest of the MODs will be loaded. You can Add descriptions by double clicking over the description cell!

So later you add all the rest of the MODs you want. Once finished, you have to click on Activate Profile button. It will create an il2fb.mods file in the root of the Il-2 game (if you have properly set the Root Folder), and if you have the corresponding wrapper (il2fbPAL.dll) this program, you can load your game from inside or just using the typical Icon in your desktop. You only need the MODder to establish the configuration, later you don't need to open it anymore (like JSGME let's say).

Another important thing is what you see in this second screen. There is a fundamental checkbox, which is default active and says "Auto Recognize Files / MODs... (JSGME style)". It's to make possible to just read your JSGME folder without having to copy a single file or reordering anything.

Going to the menu Tools / Special Folders, you see what you are seeing in the second screen. You can modify those setting for the session, but the program still doesn't preserve them in the .ini. I hope you will understand what everything means. Basically the idea is:

-There are 1st level contents: a Folder you downloaded from SAS and you place now in your MODding directory of the Total MODder.
-There are 2nd level contents: a Folder belonging to a JSGME installation that had a Files folder to be copied over your original one.
-There are 3rd level contents: a MODs, #DBW, #UP# which have inside other folders that contains MODs.

And finally this is my preference, I made an exclusion list of things that will not be loaded even present (typical example are the documentation folders of the JSGME MODs).

At the top of the Main Screen you see the profiles, that you can Add (kind of copy with a new name), Rename or Delete. The last one used is the next will be opened.

What it doesn't do: copy anything. Yes, it doesn't copy any contents by brute force method, it will never be the responsible of you having overwritten anything important. It's a gentleman!

What could be a problem as a consequence of the last: some MODs that have the custom of overwriting contents in the Root folder, i.e. change standard .SFSs by other ones. They are not so common and it isn't a good practice, but in that case you have to proceed the manual way.

For the future: the idea is implementing the rest of the things you can see at the Tools menu.

Please: I took a long time writing the ReadMe.pdf that you will find in the .rar. It covers all the important topics about the features of the program and how to configure it. Please read it. The last page has a very important Step by Step on how to make DBW to work and be activated with this.

Let me know how it works for you.

Regards,

Pablo

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: New MODding Tool: Total MODder V1.1
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »

Absolutely great, stunning, extraordinary... I'm missing the right words here.
My regards Pablo, you deserve a front row lake view place in coders' heaven :D

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

OberstDanjeje

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »

Wow, Wow, Wow, great stuff!!!!!

Thanks

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

Wow, Wow, Wow, great stuff!!!!!

Thanks

Thanks Oberst

Absolutely great, stunning, extraordinary... I'm missing the right words here.
My regards Pablo, you deserve a front row lake view place in coders' heaven :D

Best regards - Mike

Mike, coming from you it makes me feel very proud, because in that field you are the real master here.

Obviously I want to thank you (you are properly credited inside the program) because some routines of my code are inspired by what you wrote for the wrapper and the selector, and even when I thought about a way of improving them they were perfect like that. Obviously I made them RAD Studio flavored.

Thanks.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »

awesome, Pablo - now i need some time to play around with this new toy!  :D
it looks very impressive, and will surely be put to good use!  :D 8)
many thanks for your work on this, mate.  8)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

renmik

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:03 AM »

Awesome, great stuff Pablo.

Sorry, I just name it myself MODPAL, 'cause its easy to handle, absolutely user friendly.
Thank you very much.

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »

Great work Benito,

Looks a bit complex at first look, but i am sure it will become an essential mod tool for those of us that like to tinker :)

thanks mate

slipper

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »

I guess the complexity isn't that important anymore once you get used to it, and it pays back since it's supposed to cause less trouble due to the fact that this new shiny pretty piece of software doesn't fuck up the game folder by copying files around and around anymore.

Best regards - Mike

Trucmuche

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »

Hi Benito
Thanks for this new and interresting soft.
I Have this warning (I translate you from French)
"J:\V4.7\il2fbPAL.dll is not a soft configured for windows or it is full of error. install again this soft,or contact the admin for some explanations."
working under Win 7, bit defender as anti virus.I reD/L two times and I reisntall two times with the same rsult. I check trackIR nd 512Mb memory, that's all
What do I do as mistake?

Ranwers

• SAS Team
  • FiFi
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »

Outstanding !
Remember, that it takes considerably longer to create a mod than a pretty screen shot

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »

bit defender as anti virus
Nothing more to add. Bitdefender...  ::)
We've had much "fun" with it already.
Just add the whole game folder to the scanner's exclusion list, there's no other way to stop Bitdefender from f*cking up this game.

Best regards - Mike

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »

Hi Benito
Thanks for this new and interresting soft.
I Have this warning (I translate you from French)
"J:\V4.7\il2fbPAL.dll is not a soft configured for windows or it is full of error. install again this soft,or contact the admin for some explanations."
working under Win 7, bit defender as anti virus.I reD/L two times and I reisntall two times with the same rsult. I check trackIR nd 512Mb memory, that's all
What do I do as mistake?

Lebig,
               don't you receive any error when clicking Write Changes to activate the MODder? Have you checked the existence of the il2fbPAL.dll itself in the directory? Is the file there?

If the file is present the only solution is to apply the workaround Mike (Storebror) pointed out here above: excluding your Il-2 folder of the scan of the Antivirus.

For those who eventually may have problems creating the il2fbPAL.dll and modifying the il2fb.exe, here there is a version of the .rar that includes them to be copied manually:

Regards,
                        Pablo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.