Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Key Finding For HSFX 6+ Modded - Use The New SAS Selector!  (Read 1624 times)

WindWpn

• Modder
Key Finding For HSFX 6+ Modded - Use The New SAS Selector!
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »

Do you have a modded HSFX install to add additional planes, maps, ships, etc...?  Is your install tight with clean static.ini and all objects accounted for across various maps (note, KTO and other maps in stock HSFX are missing a number of objects that are found here)?  Are all your added planes correctly installed and properly loaded with the AutoDiffFM for HSFX?  Basically, you can load IL2 HSFX completely, jump into a mission successfully, yet on frequent occasion experience a CTD for no apparent reason??!

Well, this has been my experience.  I have a fairly heavily modded HSFX install to support various custom DCG campaigns ranging from Korea 1950 to Carrier Operations as well as other LS offerings.  The campaigns required some modification for HSFX as they were originally designed for DBW; however, that hurdle was overcome with some minor tweaks to the relevant DCG campaign files as well as mod additions to stock HSFX.  However, even though I had everything working correctly, minimal/no "direct cause" java console errors and functioning missions, I would randomly experience CTDs either while in mission or simply surfing the IL2 UI. 

My assumption was that I was hitting the memory limit for "stock" IL2/HSFX and the fix was to expand this base.  Well, the solution came with the release of the new SAS Selector/Mod Activator!

This activator adds support for SAS modded 4.11m, and though in the early stages, the key component of this pack relevant to HSFX is the IL2 Selector.

I basically merged my HSFX install with the SAS ModAct though selective folder/file insertion into my root IL2 game directory.  From the directories included in the SAS pack, that are unique to the pack while excluding those which are shared.

The key piece though to the pie relevant to HSFX is the SAS Selector which ties to a few root level files and an addition to the /bin/ folder.

Upon running the SAS Selector, you are presented with the options to set up Expert Mgmt and improved memory mgmt/allocation.  Choosing "Classic Mod Game" as the choice for the HSFX install, the selector allows HSFX to load with the benefit of the memory mgmt offered by the SAS Selector. 

In JSGME I load my modded HSFX though my saved JSGME profile.  Then I launch the game though the SAS Selector set to "Classic Mod Game" with the optimal memory mgmt enabled.

This allows HSFX to load with all the additions I have with the benefit of the improved memory mgmt. 

Without the use of the selector, my HSFX would CTD after a few minutes into the Korea DCG campaign nearly every time.  Other DCG campaigns would either crash, or cause hangs upon "Apply" or CTDs upon navigation in the IL2 UI.  Now however, there are no CTDs or hangs.  Note, I will be testing further; however, I wanted to put this out there for others to try to see how it works for you.

Additionally, this setup allows HSFX and SAS to set in the same IL2 411 install.  Thus, if I want to fly HSFX, I simply set it up in JSGME and select the "Classic Mod Game" option in the Selector.  If I want to fly the SAS 4.11 version, I simply disable my HSFX profile in JSGME and enable SAS, then set the Selector to the SAS version.  When DBW 1.8 releases, that will be there too.

All in all, everything is together, merged and tight.

Perhaps you all know this already, but I was quite impressed and happy to see that I can now run modded HSFX and specifically Expert mod with the UV3 sound and all the other 4.11 adoptions with the benefit of the memory mgmt options provided by the SAS Selector.

Great stuff!

~S~
wind

indio

Re: Key Finding For HSFX 6+ Modded - Use The New SAS Selector!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »

Hi WindWpn,
could you please tell me which dirs you copied in the HSFX install?
I copied only the bin, the selector exe and il2.ini.

No luck. Crash after some minutes using DCG with all memory options, from 128 to 2048.

Please help, thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.