Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy cutter  (Read 12702 times)

steven197106

• Observer
Daisy cutter
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:53:29 AM »

Request for new F-4 phantom load out, with the daisy cutter fuse, like on the new F-100

Added picture to stop the confusion
i7-5820k CPU 3.30gHZ, 16 GB ram, RTX 2080 Graphic card, 49" CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor, VKB- T-Rudders Mk.III pedals, VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick with VPC Desk Mount, VPC Extensions Set with a thrustmaster warthog grip on the stick, saitek TPM System, thrustmaster warthog throttle,

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
Re: Daisy cutter
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:00:50 AM »

and nobody knows what you are even talking about.

...?`

stop the drugs maybe?
or tell us what this story is bout?
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »

daisy cutter

and more:

"Each of the Beaufighter's racks could be fitted with a cluster of six 9kg bombs, each cluster being encircled by a metal band which was discarded when the cluster was released. These were anti-personnel bombs, more generally known as daisy-cutters since on impact they spread a great deal of shrapnel at ground level. They were quite simple weapons and fitted with very sensitive detonators so that they would explode when they hit something substantial. They would not do much damage if they penetrated the ground and then exploded."

from: "BEAUFIGHTERS OVER NEW GUINEA - No. 30 Squadron RAAF 1942-1943" by GEORGE TURNBULL DICK
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

PDelaney

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »

Vietnam era:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_cutter_%28fuse%29

bomb on a stick

"The first reference to a "daisy-cutter type of bomb" is found in the memoir of Lieutenant Jack Wilkinson in describing the 1918 attack on the Royal Air Force airfield at Bertangles. Wilkinson describes it as a "bomb that seemed to explode before it buried itself in the ground so that bits and pieces flew horizontally in all directions."

"Daisy cutter" fuses, when known under that exact name, were first used by the United States during the Vietnam War. The concept for the fuse is attributed to an Air America employee who grasped the idea during a night of drinking. Shortly thereafter, his drinking buddy, a Royal Lao Air Force airman at Louang Phrabang, gathered the needed materials for the prototype and started welding used aircraft gun barrels directly into the nose fuse cavity of bombs. After the concept proved itself useful it was made famous by being used for the largest conventional bomb in the U.S. military's arsenal at the time, the BLU-82. When used gun barrels were in short supply, water pipes were requisitioned for the task. The welded pipe versions had several adverse effects, such as vibration, pipe weld separation or breakage while in flight, and wind drag, due to impossibility of aligning the pipes correctly with the nose of the weapon, so that phase of development eventually gave way to threaded steel water pipes screwed into the nose cavity of the bombs, leaving only the tail fuse for detonation. After the war more precise fuses were created for this purpose. These weapons were used in the "shock and awe" phase of the Iraq War."

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »

and so, typhoon1b learns something new... ;)
another of the things i love about the forum, there's always something new to discover :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

SAS~Anto

• Aussie Bush Pilot
  • Editor
  • Retired from modding
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:57 AM »

They can definitely be added to the F-4s at some point. However that pack needs a overhaul as it does have some problems with its loadouts and some of its code (with no offence levelled at the coders involved - its more an issue due to code fragmentation and changing game versions).

The Daisy we do have aren't perfect representations. I tried to simulate the detonation just above ground level but the code had some flaws to it (i.e. the code could only calculate height ASL, not AGL). To compensate for this, I altered the bomb radius and power slightly to simulate the greater blast affect the daisy cutters had against ground targets compared to the regular bombs.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »

i know that S3 plans to revisit the Phantom at some point.
When exactly that will be is unsure, as he still has his hands quite full at the moment with other great new planes.
however, i am sure that when he gets around to it, we can expect a whole lot of new and improved goodies for the Phantom, and no doubt Daisy Cutters will be a part of that ;)

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »

and to make the thread complete, we not only need pics and stories, but facts and drawings.

combining the MK 82/83/84 with a daisy cutter and these springloaded metal retarding devices...

i can see me disensing tons tof them in a low level Phantom run... u dont see me come, i make a mess of your front lawn!
 8)

...i new wot he was on about, but, eh, i need to yank a chain when i see one!
Respect da friggin guidelines!
Numbers! stats! Drawings! Photoes!
Justifications!

...dammit!!!!!! ;)
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

S3231541

• s3231541
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

They can definitely be added to the F-4s at some point. However that pack needs a overhaul as it does have some problems with its loadouts and some of its code (with no offence levelled at the coders involved - its more an issue due to code fragmentation and changing game versions).

The Daisy we do have aren't perfect representations. I tried to simulate the detonation just above ground level but the code had some flaws to it (i.e. the code could only calculate height ASL, not AGL). To compensate for this, I altered the bomb radius and power slightly to simulate the greater blast affect the daisy cutters had against ground targets compared to the regular bombs.

I'm about to trash the entire mod and make one anew  8)

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »

you tard, we tard, retard nation! :D

(disclaimer: above is a quote from a TV series i watched recently, and in no way is meant to be disrespecting of people who are mentally challenged) ;)

@ Eric, that's great news, man - the Phantom has always been my favorite jet, as i have no doubt repeated endlessly here, lol, and it is more than worthy of a makeover, extreme or otherwise. :D

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »

+1
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

VF111Sundowner

• Virtual Ninja!
  • Why can't everything be Rocket Propelled!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »

The bombs with the speed brakes are MK-82 Snake eyes. To the best of my knowledge they only used them on the 500lb MK-82 all the larger sizes have the parachute type retarders.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.