Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: RAF Kenley, Hornchurch, Manston & Biggin Hill 1940s update - Channel Beta  (Read 18544 times)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
Re: RAF Kenley, Manston & Biggin Hill 1940s update for Cannon Channel Beta
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:39:54 AM »

Thanks Gerax.   :)

1940s RAF Manston update - under construction
==========================

Populating Manston environs...

PO_MAK_249RIP

• CMON U SPURS!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 07:53:26 AM »

WOW! Really looking forward to these KB
Corsair Carbide case, Intel core i5 4690 3.5ghz with Arctic Cooler, Asus Rock H97 performance, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB DDR6, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600Mhz, 256GB/500GB Crucial SSDs, Windows 10 64bit.

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 04:10:41 AM »

Manston nearly finished.  Operates 12 fighters comfortably.

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
Re: RAF Manston & Hornchurch 1940s update for Cannon Channel Beta
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 12:32:06 AM »

Almost there... I settled on this version without village tiles and objects - it feels more like a forward field to me.    8)

1940s RAF Hornchurch update - under construction

The buildings and grass taxiways were already great.  Updated tiles and grass runways in place.  Will have improved layout to operate 16 fighters.

Cheers
KB   :)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
Re: RAF Kenley, Hornchurch, Manston & Biggin Hill 1940s update - Channel Beta
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 03:13:10 AM »

Ready to place village buildings...

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »

Nearly finished, testing with sixteen AI fighters.

:)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »

1940s RAF Etain-Rouvres update - under construction

This is the last airfield for this pack - a bonus layout for kiwi ace 'Cobber' Kain's No.73 Squadron, which was posted at the Franco-German border in May 1940, where they dueled with Werner Molders'  III./JG53.  Try as I might, I couldn't find any period images of this airfield.  This update is for GilB57's WestFront40(Blitzkrieg) map, which has an east-west runway.  I found only a single reference to a 5000 ft east-west runway, built by American engineers circa 1944/45 - which I couldn't corroborate. 

The cold war helicopter layout at Base d'Etain-Rouvres is readily apparent in Google maps, so I've chosen to extrapolate back to what I think this layout may have looked like in 1940, and blended this into the existing map.  I wanted to use runway plates, and hopefully this design fits in nicely with the existing airfield layouts in this excellent map.  This layout services 12 Hurricane-size fighters.  :)

Kiwi

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »

There's an interesting discussion here regarding the thinking behind this style of airfield layout.  The layout features the minimum number of takeoff points (two, although one is also possible) each with an 'open' taxi pathway and associated parking or stay points (in this case at Tangmere, sixteen per landing point).  I've found this is the most efficient layout for a custom 'modded' airfield (as opposed to the 'stock' airfields, which follow a very rigid and limiting layout, and are difficult for a modder to replicate).  This layout has been by far the most reliable I have found in regards to AI pathfinding, both in the overhead and on the field.

It's not all beer and skittles though, and there has been one remaining issue I've been trying to get my head around.  I'll illustrate the problem here, with my Etain-Rouvres layout:

If I, as the player, park my aircraft here, the airfield layout functions as intended, as shown by the AI Hurricane landing on the main runway. (Tip: click on the image to open it in Photobucket and use the zoom function.)

But, if I park here, my position on the field 'shuts down' the airfield layout to the AI Hurricanes circling in the background.  They simply won't land, just 'going around' again and again.  Effectively, this closes off a large part of the airfield to use by the player, and also to the mission builder.

It turns out (as far as I can tell) this 'no-go-zone' is a radius roughly half the length of the runway, centred on the landing point in play for the mission, as illustrated by my position in the following two frames:

Here, the layout is shut down.

If I park a little further back from the landing point, the layout is open again as shown by the AI Hurricane landing on the main runway.

After a fair bit of testing different layouts, it turns out the solution appears to be quite elegant and simple.  In this frame, the problem has been solved, and I can park arbitrarily close to the landing point without shutting it down.  UPDATE: Oh dear!  It now looks like this was a false result.  It appears that the problem was actually being solved by allowing the auto pilot to fly most of the mission (on fast forward) up to and including the last leg prior to manually landing.  If I fly the whole mission manually - the problem returns!  This is too random a problem to let it hold me up from accomplishing my goal - to create some nice airfields and missions then go fly - so I'm shelving this issue and returning to my original layout.  My rule of thumb for mission builders and pilots is simply to park at the opposite end of the airfield from the landing point.

The solution is to close the two 'open' taxi pathways into a single loop with the runway points (similar in this regard to the stock layouts).  This test version has a single twelve-spot parking area on the taxi 'loop'.  The AI fills in the parking spots in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, depending on the landing point selected.  This is preferable in my opinion to even the stock airfields; stock airfields link parking areas with multiple runway points and taxi pathways, which causes the AI to select parking spots in a much less predictable order.  In all other regards this layout appears to be as 'AI friendly' as the Tangmere layout at the top of this post.  We have some interesting possibilites as far as parking areas are concerned.  We can design two or three parking areas at different locations aroung the loop, and the mission builder can anticipate which parking spots the AI will use, depending on how many aircraft are in the mission, and design 'parking dioramas' and landing objectives accordingly - when the mission plays the AI will be landing, taxi-ing and parking in proximity to the player, helping to bring the mission to life.  With three six-spot areas around the loop (for example) the airfield can recover extra fighters over and above the twelve the runway is designed to launch.

More testing to follow

KB   :)

solotk

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »

Lovely work Kiwi! However, what is  not readily obvious about Kenley, is it sits on a big hill! I know, I walked and cycled up to the airfield enough times as a young Air Cadet Gliding Instructor. Hayes Lane, a major feature, runs uphill from Whyteleafe station, and across the 1940 airfield on the Western side? cutting off 2 dispersal pans. The lane was subject to closure during WW2. I think you can see the feature on GE, especially if the 1940 rollback is available. There is also a significant cutting, as the railway runs between Whyteleafe and Caterham on the North? side of the airfield by Whyteleafe common. Kenley holds a great deal of significance for me,apart rom the BoB it's where I first learned to fly, and I look forward to your brilliant treatment of it.

Best regards
Solotk

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »

Lovely work Kiwi! However, what is  not readily obvious about Kenley, is it sits on a big hill! I know, I walked and cycled up to the airfield enough times as a young Air Cadet Gliding Instructor. Hayes Lane, a major feature, runs uphill from Whyteleafe station, and across the 1940 airfield on the Western side? cutting off 2 dispersal pans. The lane was subject to closure during WW2. I think you can see the feature on GE, especially if the 1940 rollback is available. There is also a significant cutting, as the railway runs between Whyteleafe and Caterham on the North? side of the airfield by Whyteleafe common. Kenley holds a great deal of significance for me,apart rom the BoB it's where I first learned to fly, and I look forward to your brilliant treatment of it.

Best regards
Solotk

Great idea Solotk, I've been wanting to try a rail feature.  Hope these look ok .   :)

RAF Kenley added elevation. Added Whyteleafe village, rail feature and cutting.
===============================================

All the best
Kiwi

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »

Doesn't look too bad from up here.   :)

GilB57

• Modder
    • Trucs & Bidules
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »

Hi !

If you are interested, I can share the documentation I used for the Etain-Rouvres airfield in my WestFront40 map:

You may notice that the north direction points up, so the main runway is oriented east-west.
The photograph is a later document (the layout seems to be a typical 1944 USAAF  ALG)
In the text ("The battle of France, then and now" - Peter Cornwell), it is described as "a vast football field"

A later reference in the book indicates that the runway was LATER (after the war) re-oriented north-south by the french Armee de l'air.

Generally, it appears that most France war airfields in 1940 were mostly grass fields...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.