Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spitfire HF MKVII  (Read 5666 times)

tarakanz

Spitfire HF MKVII
« on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:18 AM »

Physical Description:
Supermarine Spitfire F. Mk. VIIc single seat, low wing monoplane high altitude fighter; enclosed cockpit; aluminum monocoque stressed skin elliptical wing with wingtip extension and fuselage; fabric covered aluminum control surfaces; pressurized cockpit; grey green camouflage top surface paint scheme with dove grey underside; red and blue national roundel on upper wing surface and red, white, and blue roundel lower wing surface; red, white, blue, and yellow roundel fuselage sides; red, white and blue tail flash; Armament, 2: 20mm Hispano cannons and 4: .303 cal. Browning machine guns; Rolls-Royce Merlin 61, liquid cooled V-12, fitted with two-speed two-stage supercharger providing 1,565 hp.

General characteristics
Crew: one pilot
Length: 9.12 m
Wingspan: 17.30 m
Height: 3.48 m
Wing area: 32.60 m²
Empty weight: 2286 kg
Max. takeoff weight: 3575 kg
Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Merlin 64  1710 hp

Performance
Maximum speed: 657 km/h
Range: 1510 km
Practical ceiling: 13200 m
Rate of climb: 1660 m/min

Guns: 2 x 20 mm cannon with 60 rounds
         4 x 7.69 mm machine gun with 350 rounds

Bombs: 1 x 113 kg
           1 x 227 kg

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
Re: Spitfire HF MKVII
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »

We have a VIII but what's so special about this...?
I'm just curious...
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »

Great request.

Sptifire Mk VII is an high altitude fighter, mainly used for interception of recon airplane. Pierre Clostermann use one of these for à short period.
It is a basicly a Mk V with pointed and extended wingtips and cabin pressurisation (plus some minors modification liker additional exhausts).

Some of them have all machine gun removed for save weight and increase performances.

tarakanz

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »

We have a VIII but what's so special about this...?
I'm just curious...

The game has USA, USSR, Germany high-altitude aircraft. And not one of pure British high-altitude aircraft! Oh, and for full line Sptifire in the game  ;)

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:49 AM »

just me or this plane used two different tails?
If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick.

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:05:46 AM »

You're right. Both "round" and "pointed" tail were used. Pointed tail were more efficient after Pierre Clostermann's book.

tarakanz

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:47 AM »

you're absolutely right, the later versions had the new tail. This model can easily be done, making the wings and the FM Spitfire VIII.

cuccos19

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »

The Mark VII was the 2nd high altitude fighter version after the Mark VI. The Mark VI was more like a Mark V with high altitude engine, pressurized cockpit and pointed wingtips, but same fuselage structure. The Mark VII was basically a Mark VIII with high altitude engine, pressurized cockpit and pointed wingtips. Both the 6 and 7 arrived too late to do the job on the Ju-86P and R high altitude recon/bomber aircrafts over UK and Egypt. Modified Mark IXs caught some Ju-86Rs over England and modified Mark Vs caught some Ju-86Ps (I think they were P subtypes) over Egypt. These Mark Vs known as the Aboukir Spitfires. Usually removed the armor, .303 Brownings, got lightweight four bladed wooden propellers and even paintjob removed and polished up to save weight. Only two 20mms left to handle the bombers. On the Aboukir Mark Vs I think they tuned up the engine as well.

Mark VII and VIII had redesigned fuselage unlike the "interim" Mark IX which had the Mark V's fuselage. Later the IX got the larger pointed fin as well. Some early Mark VII and maybe VIII had the old style rounded fin.
Used mod: 4.12.2m + ModAct 5.3; Mostly used aircrafts: Bf-109s, P-38s, F4Fs, B.239 and Japanes fighters.

BaronFel181

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »

I think this aircraft used Merlin 64 and 71 (versions of 63 and 70 set up for cabin pressurization). Maybe very early ones (with rounded Mk. V rudder) the Merlin 61. So, the Mk. VIII FM would need to be modified, as the VIII uses Merlin 66. Luckily, we have the Merlin 63 and 70 modeled for the Spitfire Mk. IX (F and HF variants).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.