Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: S. B. C. DO217K1 to E series  (Read 38892 times)

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
Re: S. B. C. DO217K1 to E series
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »

that is nearly perfect, the nose needs a bit of tapering and 2 double schrage musik gun installations
at this stage it looks wonderful though

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »

GREAT!!!

Just a little tweaking of the nose and ... we have a new night-fighter!!!  :P

Gio - thanks for doing this!

You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

mojojojo

• the only guy who uses the wildcat in multiplayer
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »

the plane is very slow, but it packs quite a nice punch.
i7 4790K quad core 4.4GHz/8GB DDR3-1600/ASUS Z87-A/ EVGA GTX 970 4GB/128GB A-Data SSD+1TB HDD/EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU/ NZXT Source 530 gaming case

Docholiday

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »

As this

Yes Yes Yes !!  ;D

Go ahead please !!!

Of course I like this plane ! ;)

Cheers
Doc

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 01:26:19 AM »

And I will of course see to that there will be a campaign for her, when she is ready to take to the darkened skies over Europe again...  ;D
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

DONAGHY

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »

nice work doc and all involved   s don

Benno

• Retired Airline Pilot
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21:06 AM »

Very nice , yes please   :-*
Benno

gio963tto

• Modder
  • My drawn
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »

A bit best :-\ :-\:

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »

perfect!

LuseKofte

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »

Yup work for me, very nice. Good cockpit and now we get to hunt with it. Very good work

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »

That will do very nicely - thanks giotto!!!  8)

I guess that she will be skinnable?

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »

gio963tto

Looking very good mate, i wonder in the future if you may consider the Do-17Z-7 or Z-10 using ranwers Do-17Z-2 as a base?

Basically one of the first German nightfighters based on the Do-17Z-2 Bomber, originally with a Ju-88c nose fitted, later on with a purpose made nose.

Also used as a long range nightfighter over the UK in the first years of the war.

Do 17Z-10 Kauz

After bomber production ended in 1940, the Z model was modified with a "solid" nose from the Ju 88C and fitted with one 20mm and three 7.92mm MG15's to be used as night fighters. One prototype was constructed as the Z-6 Kauz I (screech-owl), and then the design was futher modified with a custom nose with four 7.92 mm MG17 machine guns and four 20 mm MG-FF cannon. Only nine of these Do 17K-10 Kauz II designs were built, fitted with both a Lichtenstein C1 radar and the Spanner-II infra-red detection system. The later proved to be essentially useless, and was not used on later night fighter designs.

The Z-10 served for two years in the night fighter role, where they were used in Josef Kammhuber's defensive system known as the Kammhuber Line. Each fighter was assigned a single "cell", with three strips of such cells running from Denmark to the middle of France. Within each cell a direction center on the ground tracked both the Kauz and a single target, guiding them until the target was visible in the Spanner. RAF Bomber Command were able to ascertain the nature of the line, and sent all of their bombers in a single "stream", thus overwhelming the defences. The Z-10s were then replaced with more capable planes mounting their own radars.

Do 17Z night fighter variants

After bomber production ended in 1940, the Z model was modified with a "solid" nose from the Ju 88C, fitted with one 20 mm MG FF cannon and three 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 machine guns, to be used as night fighters. Three prototypes were converted from existing Z-series airframes to the Do 17 Z-7 Kauz I ("screech-owl") configuration. The standard Z-7 was fitted with Bramo 323P-1 radial engines and had a crew of three airmen. In comparison to the standard bomber version, the fuel load arrangement was altered by subdividing into cells. Two cells were in the wings, with a capacity of 770 litres (154 imperial gallons) each. A third cell was placed in the bomb bay within the main fuselage, having a capacity of 895 litres (179 imperial gallons). The oxygen supply for the three man crew was reduced to nine bottles, as intercepts at high altitudes were not anticipated. Add-on armour in the form of heavy steel plates was bolted to the nose bulkhead to protect the crew against frontal fire. Originally, it was planned to completely armour the crew compartment. This idea, was given up again as the increased weight would have reduced flight performance of an already slow aircraft. The ammunition loads for the three 7.92 mm MG 17 amounted to 3,000 rounds and 400 rounds of ammunition for the 20 mm MG 151 cannon (although some Do 17Z bombers carried a single 20 mm for ground attack missions).[44][49]

Later, the design was further modified to the Do 17 Z-10 Kauz II, the solid nose now containing an infra-red searchlight for the Spanner Anlage infrared detection system.[50] The infrared in the nose cone was used to illuminate the target while the display unit in the windshield made the reflection visible to the target.[51] The Z-10 was armed with four 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 machine guns grouped above the IR light and two 20 mm MG FF in the lower nose.[50] The crew could reload the 20 mm cannon internally. The Z-10 contained an IR searchlight (Spanner-Anlage) for the Spanner infrared detection system.[52][53] A single Kauz II was equipped with and tested the Lichtenstein radar.[42] Only 10 of these Kauz II designs were converted from existing Z-series airframes. The Spanner system proved to be essentially useless and many Z-10 were left without detection system. At least one Z-10, coded CD+PV, was used as a flying test bed to help developing the Lichtenstein radar system in late 1941–1942.[Notes 3] When the Z-10 was stripped of all non-night fighter equipment, it had a maximum weight of 7,300 kg (16,000 lb). Armament fit was similar to that of the Z-7, with an added MG 17 and an additional 1,000 rounds of ammunition in the nose section. Defensive gun positions included the B and C stand, each equipped with a single MG 15.[48]

cheers mate

slipper

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 26 queries.