Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: campaigns with uncommon aircraft.........  (Read 2983 times)

Witchy

campaigns with uncommon aircraft.........
« on: April 03, 2022, 01:11:49 PM »

It always brings a smile to my face when I see you guys make campaigns that involve aircraft and wars that are uncommon.

As a young girl growing up around 3 brothers and a father that would play board war games like Richthofens war and Air Force, and blown up models in the backyard in mach battles. Even though its probably a rarity. I was one girl who developed a love for building model planes, war/RPG gaming, and reading tons of reference books on aircraft. My mother even built model aircraft for displays in hobby shop windows for a time and in turn my older brothers got free kits for her work. My brother in law also owned his own model shop for a time and I got good deals out of that so I have been around the subject a long time.

I grew tired of building p-51's, me-109's and all other very common aircraft we see all the time. I always looked for oddball model kits to build. I mean I am pretty sure a lot of you guys here probably built tons of them in childhood and wanted something different too. I think this carried over to pc flight sims. From seeing a lot of the rare planes some of you guys feature in a lot of the campaigns offered here, I get the idea that you feel the same way. I built an old soviet I-15 and a Spanish one a few months back and really got into some of the Spanish civil war campaigns offered here. Anyway its always great to see the campaigns you offer on the subject and I greatly appreciate your work.

Mina -aka Witchy

Just a girl who loves to fly.

BlackAce7727

• BAT, UP, DBW
  • Skinner
  • Clown #77
Re: campaigns with uncommon aircraft.........
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 01:21:45 PM »

Hi Witchy,

A touching story of how you got into this subject, it's what we're famous for here on SAS, we made the ordinary unordinary... with such a huge simulator like we have today compared to it's vanilla child it was born from. I've been flying for as long as most people here on IL-2 since 2001 when the original came out, 22 years... it's a long time, but like yourself this simulator has grown on me... also I admit I've made models and I still do to this day thanks to my late Grandfather... he was the one that got me into smoking jets and burning pistons when I was 4. I've gone to hundreds of airshows since then, witnessing aircraft here in Britain you'll never see again gracing the skies, I was lucky seeing aircraft like Concorde, Tornado, Vulcan, Hawker Hunters you name it. ;D

I'd say most simulators today are made for making money, this was made from the hearts of true enthusiasts of IL-2 as well as Aviation...

All the very best, and fly safe.
BlackAce7727 (Eric)

Let the victor be justice...

Witchy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 10:01:24 PM »

I was lucky seeing aircraft like Concorde, Tornado, Vulcan, Hawker Hunters you name it. ;D

I'd say most simulators today are made for making money, this was made from the hearts of true enthusiasts of IL-2 as well as Aviation...

All the very best, and fly safe.
BlackAce7727 (Eric)

NO QUOTE PICS !!!

Totally,

I remember as a small child in the late 80s. Passing the Marine air station and seeing an F4 Phantom, full afterburner taking off, and all that smoke. Never forget that. Was probably close to its end of service life and will never see it again. :)

Wing Walker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »

It always brings a smile to my face when I see you guys make campaigns that involve aircraft and wars that are uncommon.
I for some reason like to make missions like that, maybe not totally rare planes, but missions with first actions of a/c like one I'm reworking for the first mission of the birdcage Corsair with the Black Sheep.

Everyone likes the P-51D, but what about the first P-51 to see service (btw Got to see the XP-51 at Danton AF museum when I was a kid).

I grew tired of building p-51's, me-109's and all other very common aircraft we see all the time. I always looked for oddball model kits to build.

Ditto, I always thought the more rare aircraft models were super finds.  I wish I still had the gumption and time to get into the super detail models like the Trumpeter ones.

Dream model: 1/32 F-8C with a VF-84 Decal set...  or just the entire lineage of the Jolly Rogers in high detail 1/32 scale.

Mina -aka Witchy
Personal A/C skins would be a good thread!

I remember as a small child in the late 80s. Passing the Marine air station and seeing an F4 Phantom, full afterburner taking off, and all that smoke. Never forget that.

Bad ass...

When I was a kid my Dad took me to work on Saturdays on the NAS, and I got to watch P-3C's do touch and goes all morning.

Shakaali

• Missioneer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 04:58:45 AM »

I for some reason like to make missions like that, maybe not totally rare planes, but missions with first actions of a/c like one I'm reworking for the first mission of the birdcage Corsair with the Black Sheep.

What I like most are the aircraft that were used only in small numbers for some reason, even though they were excellent designs at the time they were designed. Aircraft such as Heinkel He-112, Westland Whirlwind, Dornier Do-335 or Avia B-135. Aircraft that could have been as famous as Spitfire or Bf-109, if...

I also like oddball designs that were failures from the beginning, but their design based on a bad idea which was thought to be a good idea until the idea was proven to be bad in practice. Aircraft such as Boulton Paul Defiant.
"A truth ceases to be true when more than one person believes in it." -Oscar Wilde

Witchy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 12:30:30 PM »

What I like most are the aircraft that were used only in small numbers for some reason, even though they were excellent designs at the time they were designed. Aircraft such as Heinkel He-112, Westland Whirlwind, Dornier Do-335 or Avia B-135. Aircraft that could have been as famous as Spitfire or Bf-109, if...

I also like oddball designs that were failures from the beginning, but their design based on a bad idea which was thought to be a good idea until the idea was proven to be bad in practice. Aircraft such as Boulton Paul Defiant.

Same big fan of the Westland Wyvern and the A2D Skyshark a well as a lot of older oddball planes.

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »

I remember as a small child in the late 80s. Passing the Marine air station and seeing an F4 Phantom, full afterburner taking off, and all that smoke. Never forget that. Was probably close to its end of service life and will never see it again. :)

Reminds me when I was a kid, 5-6 years old, back in the '60s (am 60 this year)... my first aviation souvenir was to see a Mirage IIIS crossing the sky on the village I was living in, at maybe 500 m altitude... this village was in line with the runway of Payerne Swiss Air Force base, at about 15-20 kilometers... ans it was often possible to see Mirages, Vampires, Venoms and Hunters crossing the sky at a reasonably low altitude ! I also remember going to visit the air base, and having the chance to see 2 Mirage taking off parallel, one with JATO and afterburner, the other one with just afterburner (but that was later, in the '80s)... WOAW !!!

Witchy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 01:48:49 PM »

Reminds me when I was a kid, 5-6 years old, back in the '60s (am 60 this year)... my first aviation souvenir was to see a Mirage IIIS crossing the sky on the village I was living in, at maybe 500 m altitude... this village was in line with the runway of Payerne Swiss Air Force base, at about 15-20 kilometers... ans it was often possible to see Mirages, Vampires, Venoms and Hunters crossing the sky at a reasonably low altitude ! I also remember going to visit the air base, and having the chance to see 2 Mirage taking off parallel, one with JATO and afterburner, the other one with just afterburner (but that was later, in the '80s)... WOAW !!!

So lucky to see all of those classic and iconic uk and french aircraft. I don't think we have any or very few specimens of any of your mentioned air frames even in private hands flying in the states.

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:18:14 PM »

In Switzerland, we still have very few specimens of all of them still flying in private hands, and they can be seen in airshows... last time I went to a big airshow in Switzerland, back in 2014 (Air14), we saw a Mirage IIIDS, a Vampire, a Venom and some Hunters, if I remember correctly... plus another extra : the last Morane MS406 (in fact, a EKW D-3800, Swiss built Morane) still flying in the world :

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 12:20:12 PM »

I so agree with you!

This is the main reason I got involved with IL-2 to begin with.  I grew up in Brazil with limited access to aviation materials (most likely because I was a kid... but my father supplied with much information).  My father and uncle bought me English aviation books (mostly from Salamander), but without the ability to understand the language, it made the pictures and schemas all the more mysterious and appealing, especially when it came to less known aircraft.

I was a huge fan of WWII Fighters by Janes's back in the day, and it was probably the finest WW2 simulator before IL-2.  MS's CFS was a good attempt, but I think it missed the mark on ease of use and I venture to say it was graphically inferior to WWII Fighters.  The first announcement I saw of IL-2 excited me because it covered aircraft and a theater which we did not have much knowledge of, except for what had been published during the cold war which means there were bias for all sides.

Well, not a model exactly, but one of my favorite aircraft that was properly brought to life by this series.

Same below.

And semi ashamed to say, I bought the He-177 model below in Salzburg I think in 2003 or 2004...  still in the box.

But yes, it really tickles me to see Brazilian aircraft in Jet Age, particularly the AMX-1 (Brazilian version), Tucano, Super Tucano, and Xavante, as well as being able to use the Brazilian roundels on purchases like the A-4 Skyhawk, Mirages and F-5s.  Not only that but also Brazilian WW2 missions flown in the P-47D in Italy, as well as the possibility of building some future coastal Brazilian WW2 anti-sub missions... which was the reason Brazil entered the war in the first place.  Of course I would like to see an extensive campaign with the Aztec Eagles, Mexicans flying P-47Ds in the Phillipines.

Yes.  IL-2 has really allowed the appreciation for the significance of all aspects of military aviation.

Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

Witchy

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 11:44:53 PM »

Thats a really neat lego like model,

Interestingly, I just bought a pzl .23B in 1/72 by IBG models from poland. You may want one yourself and they sell 3 versions of it. It should be arriving soon. I too love this plane, its unique looking.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 11:57:32 PM »

oooooohhhh!  Can't really say anything else.
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.