Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: F-4 Phantom improved glass  (Read 2653 times)

WxTech

• Modder
F-4 Phantom improved glass
« on: March 19, 2023, 09:57:05 PM »

UPDATE, Mar 20, 2023: Found an error in Canopy.msh, wherein one line was missing from the [Faces] section. Archive updated.

======================= end of update =====================

Improved canopy glass, with added armored glass texture, for Vega's v3.3 F4 Phantom. Note that this comprises just the few files related to the glass.

Not being able to test in my game, here's a screen capture from the mesh viewer utility. Note the new separate treatment for the armored glass, with its greenish tint. And the perspex overall has none of the former milkiness nor the odd dark parts.

Get the new glass here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lshx0rnboww2ymq/F4_Phantom_canopy_glass.7z/file

From the included readme file:

Improved F4 Phantom glass, for Vega's v3.3 full plane/cockpit mod, available here, which you'll obviously require:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,49144.0.html

A request came to me to address the awful F4 Phantom perspex. My B.A.T. 4.0 game is WAW-only, and I wasn't sufficiently motivated to install this plane and the other necessary components in order to get it to run. And so I've been limited to checking that things are OK via the mesh viewer utility. And this work was done using a spreadsheet, with those two files included here as well (in Open Office .odf format.)

The changes:
- The perspex has a completely new texture, with much reduced specularity as well.
- The perspex has had the surface normals reversed, as is my usual practice, in service to the concept that shmutz will be more visible up-Sun due to the greater efficiency of forward scatter.
- For the forward canopy, I separated out the armored glass for separate treatment, giving it a greenish tint.
- For the bubble section, I changed completely the texture mapping; previously it was separated into three sections, with visible discontinuities. Now it's one contiguous texture, with no discontinuities.

About the sight's reflector plate
---------------------------------

The original glass.mat and glass.tga files now pertain to ONLY the reflector plate for the sight. I've reduced specularity to zero, so that there's no more silliness where the Sun shining up through the floor can cause incorrect, unnatural glare.

The entire reflector has a yellow hue. It seems to me that unless this glass has an overall tint, due either to dyed glass or the filtering via a dielectric coating, only the reflected image of the display screen should be so tinted. Not knowing about the makeup of this system, I leave the texture as it is.

Adjusting perspex visibility
----------------------------
If you wish to alter the intensity of the perspex dirtiness, open "GlassCanopy.mat" with any text editor and edit the 4th number for parameter "ColorScale". As I supply it:

ColorScale 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.5  //0.4

The 4th number is 0.5 (an older value of 0.4 is commented out with "//" characters), which is the alpha value. This can range between 0.0 (totally invisible) to 1.0 (maximum opacity, as determined also by the texture's own alpha channel.) To reduce the intensity, make this number lower, and vice versa.

The same goes for the "GlassArmor.mat" file, which controls the armored glass element. Lowering the alpha value will make the greenish tint subtler.

Again, because I can't check things out in the game, I'm 'flying' a bit blind here. You folk are my testers! :)

WxTech,
Mar 19, 2023
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

dsawan

Re: F4 Phantom improved glass
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 10:32:44 PM »

Well, just thought I give it a go in BAT 4.2.2 hotfix 4, and when put into jetwar it has no cockpit let alone the jet, when I take out the file its back to normal.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 11:20:16 PM »

Log.lst error?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

dsawan

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:42:22 PM »

Code: [Select]
Loading mission QuickQMBPro/BAT_South_VietNam(PS)/BAT_South_VietNam(PS)bluenonen00.mis...
Y=1940 / M=6 / H= 12 , Temperature - 0m = 23.0 .
Loading map.ini defined airfields:
Load bridges
Load static objects
java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find resource for bundle java.util.PropertyResourceBundle, key Para
1>mp_dotrange FRIENDLY DOT 14.000001 COLOR 6.0000005 RANGE 6.0000005 TYPE 6.0000005 ID 6.0000005 NAME 6.0000005 ALTICON 0.1 ALTSYMBOL + ALTCOLOR 0
1>mp_dotrange FOE DOT 14.000001 COLOR 6.0000005 RANGE 6.0000005 TYPE 6.0000005 ID 6.0000005 NAME 6.0000005 ALTICON 0.1 ALTSYMBOL + ALTCOLOR 0
Mission: QuickQMBPro/BAT_South_VietNam(PS)/BAT_South_VietNam(PS)bluenonen00.mis is Playing
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask2_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask3_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask4_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask5_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask2_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask3_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask4_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'HMask5_D0'

[Mar 20, 2023 1:33:22 AM UTC -4] -------------- END log session -------------

dsawan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 11:43:21 PM »

Didn't crash to desktop just no pit when it loaded the model

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 11:59:30 PM »

That log text shows nothing related. When trying to run it, how about bringing up the console via SHIFT-TAB, in case something appears there not written to the log...

The mesh viewer does not reporting any errors at all. Although I do know that just because the mesh viewer can load a model with no issues is no guarantee that the game will succeed.

I trust it's the same cockpit that we're dealing with? Does B.A.T. now include this one, without any alterations having been made?

If this plane has been added by you, where you will have the cockpit older, how about removing or renaming (with a "-" character) the original files in common with my versions, and then plopping my files into that folder?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 02:42:12 AM »

I hope that a modder who's set up with the jet stuff can wade in and determine what's going on here.

I've been looking over everything closely, and see nothing that should cause a failure to draw. The poly count in Canopy.msh has increased by 250 due to my 'special' treatment of the armored glass, but the total poly count for the whole mesh, at 2549, is within game engine limits. I've done the very same treatment for armored glass in other 'pits, with no problem.

I've already spent 4+ hours on a project that holds no compelling interest for me as a pure WW2 enthusiast. The hard work has been done with the glass business; the rest is just nailing down whatever quirky thing is going on. If there's no Java exception resulting in an error, I'd hardly be better able to fix this than the next guy.  ;)

Looking over the resources to install in order to fly this bird, I see more than a thousand classfiles in the mix. As a cautious, deliberative installer of mods, my instinct is to first decompile classes in order to see what's there. And to determine if there's any potential conflict with my own many hundreds of modded classes. Right now, at least, my 'level of keen' is lacking.

By the way, I see that the reticle mask is horribly out of position, being too far forward and up.

dsawan

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 09:17:08 AM »

I can test some more. The bat 4.2.2 already has the f-4 which i assume is updated to latest standard. I may try to install it separately and see if it works that way.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 11:59:01 AM »

BAT 4.2.2 hf4

No work : blue screen !
It seems that the Canopy mesh is not compliant (in conformity) !

dT:    0   ERROR: SectFile: GetDataBlock uword '3DO/Cockpit/F4E/Canopy.msh'
dT:    0   WARNING: object '3DO/Cockpit/F4E/Canopy.msh' of class 'SkinTL' not loaded
dT:    0   INTERNAL ERROR: MeshObj: Can't load mesh 3DO/Cockpit/F4E/Canopy.msh
dT:    0   WARNING: object '3DO/Cockpit/F4E/F4.him' of class 'HIM' not loaded
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 12:24:39 PM »

Gabriel,
Can you see in what way Canopy.msh is non conformant? It loads without issue in the mesh viewer, and there's nothing I can see that differs from what I've done for numerous other meshes over the years...

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 12:36:43 PM »

At home it makes the viewer crash!
It seems that there is a line missing in the Faces.
1 4359 215 1941 308 ==> 2249
But I only see 2248 lines!

I continue...
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 12:38:09 PM »

Is it possible that the GlassCanopy.tga being rectangular, instead of square, could be the issue here? That would be odd, because in many other instances non-square textures are in use, and I've done so for at least a couple of other canopies.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.