Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: UQMG 1946 Max - Development Log & Updates (7 Apr 2024 - Update 2)  (Read 10121 times)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
Re: UQMG 1946 Max Concept
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2023, 07:17:52 PM »

I think once I have a working interface, I can make options for different backgrounds.  I am trying to make UQCT2020 work to create only templates for the new standard files I am creating, apparently not as easy as I thought because it did a lot of interaction with the files for the classic UQMG.  It is OK because it is sort of fun going through my old code and figuring out what I was doing!  Don't dring and code kids!
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2023, 03:08:56 PM »

I have made modifications to UQCT2020 to produce the files I will use to populate UQMG 1946 Max.  I am sure there will be tweaks, but I have a working model to start working on the GUI functionality.  It looks like I will be able to use most of the format I came up with back in 2013.  The one that will be a challenge is how to adapt the database as new features come out in BAT.  The database is based on the "Type..." Java classes from the aircraft objects.  Today I parse the Types based on alphabetical order using some crazy DOS/batch scripting, and there are 52 classes in total, not all useful for databasing, but I capture them all, like Pokemon.

Although you can't see the code change, this is what I am using to create the files, and they will be loaded into UQMG 1946 Max.

Also here are what some of the files look like, just finished building them for BAT 4.2.2 Hot Fix 4.

Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2023, 11:15:54 PM »

Successfully imported and adapted UCT2020 libraries to start importing IL-2 data into UQMG 1946 Max.  Encountered the old ANSI vs UTF encoding problem.  I can go file by file to convert it in Notepad, however I could use combination of batch and PowerShell to convert them via script.  So far changing in Notepad alone from ANSI to UTF-8 does the trick and UNICODE characters load.  You figure that would be easier to do in .NET, but it isn't, and the Interwebs is full of programmers who are frustrated with that without a clear answer on the coding front without using fancy and costly libraries or having to add additional code.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2023, 08:06:56 PM »

Just a quick update.  Spending all the time with the Flight editor.  VB.NET 2022 is super powerful.  It handles like C# and Java really, outside of the syntax itself, and it can easily use all the .NET features and libraries, which helps when using reference from other languages.  But, the biggest beef people have is that it is definitely not as easy as classic VB6 and earlier.  Not to matter, I am finding that I am using UQMG classic less and less as a reference from the perspective of coding, only from feature standpoint, and of course, identifying self-imposed limitations that made updating it hard.

Nevertheless, it is like learning something new-ish, so it is a slow process.  Plus, there are other things in life, like drinking... eating...  sleeping... drinking some more... binging on war documentaries...  oh and family... :D

I was able to successfully make the loads for the WAW 4.22 hot fix 4, and they are working in the flight editor, but there are a lot of routines I have to develop.  One of the cool things I did was figuring out how to create a function to automatically widen the combo box lists to fit the text... you'd think that is an easy thing to do, but funny enough, it is not a property of the ComboBox control Classes.

I'll keep on trucking.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2023, 08:56:34 PM »

Here are some screenshots showing the data loaded; note that there is some good dynamic loading going on, like the change of teams and weapon loads, as well as correct choice of skins per aircraft.  It takes some doing to get all this to work.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2023, 09:24:54 PM »

The data in the menus are related to real data to be used in the future mission making engine.  It takes a lot of work to make the GUI work correctly.  Once those rules are set it makes life a lot easier working on the much more fun aspects of the mission generating algorithms (OK, so I am a frigging geek who loves meth... I mean math, so programming coding solutions are actually fun.).

For that I will use the math I used in the original UQMG classic, because the cloning algorithm is not as easy as you would think.  It is not just about where to place the flights, but also about timing and managing the very limiting IL-2 engine way of doing things.

The fact that the ability of adding flying aircraft is tied to a finite/specific Regiments/Units makes programming life hell.  It would have been a much more elegant solution to have basic/generic teams and countries with unlimited flying flights based on how many you want, not on a limit because of a unit name.  Unit names and markings should be an optional feature that allows a greater level of customization.

Something based on the country code.  Say for example.  If you pick Brazil, the digraph is "br".  So instead of having to create every unit in that country simply use:

br00
br01
br02
br03
etc...

The associated squadron/flights would be, take br00:
* br0000, br0001, br0002, br0003
* br0010, br0011, br0012, br0013
* br0020, br0021, br0022, br0023
* br0030, br0031, br0032, br0033

Same pattern for br01.. br0100, br0101... etc...

Even if the limit is br99, or some hexadecimal limit like brFF... it is much easier to manage...

The name of the units (based on the main regiment, like br00) could be tags, like
Name = 1st Fighter Group

The number, designation of the planes could follow the default pattern, but maybe they could be tags, like:

NumberPattern = AA * 00  (something like a letter, roundel, number pattern that is defined by either a central file or the user)
RoundelWings = asdf.bmp
RoundelOther = sdfg.bmp
UnitMark = something.bmp...

etc...

Anyway...  it would be a huge overhaul of the engine, but there you go.

RealDarko

• Modder
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2023, 02:50:02 AM »

I enter here everyday to see progress, good work, looking forward.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2023, 01:38:15 PM »

I enter here everyday to see progress, good work, looking forward.
we try...  and by we I mean my dedicated team of ... me.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »

I know that the screenshot below is not impressive...

What you cannot see is that I did a lot of work in the background on the relationship of properties, to include the default options.  This goes a long way to setting the program to get ready for a usable state, at least on the aircraft properties front, which is the emphasis of IL-2 and any flight simulator.  What will be a whole lot of work is once all of these properties are ready, I need to define how the main interface of UQMG Max will interact with the data from the Flight editor (which includes the Waypoint Editor, and the aircraft picker... I have not talked about that yet, but it is coming... a more elegant way of designing "aircraft sets").  It will have to be a huge database/array of data points for each of the 24 total flight groups as well as mission parameters and ground objects, which will be the basis for the new UQMG mission files... although I am thinking of some other uses (more later on this).

Something to note is that primarily, I am developing this for BAT, so when you set the defaults, it will account for DOF/TGA/WAW/JTW modules.  So if you are in the DOF module, the default air speed will be 240 Km/h, with no parachute and no radio.  TGA and WAW will have similar defaults, and JTW will set default speed at 600km/h.

So about clones...  well, it is based on the total number of regiments in the IL-2 engine.  BAT has additional Regiments because of all the additional countries and regiments associated with them.

To be exact...
Neutral = 1
Red = 2562
Blue = 1782

BTW, in UQMG Max, I assigned the sole Neutral regiment to the Red team.

Here is the math, considering UQMG Max will have 12 Flight Groups per team:
* 1 Regiment has 4 squadrons, each with 4 Flights
* 16 Flights per regiment, or 64 total planes (each flight can be a clone, so 15 clones per regiment)
* Max clones based on total regiments per team (2562+1 for none in RED, and 1782 for BLUE)
* There are 12 Flights per team
* So for RED  (16 * 2562 - 12)/12 = 3415 clones per flight
* And for BLUE (16 * 1782 - 12)/12 = 2375 clones per flight

I am showing the total possible number of airplanes per flight group it would be possible if you had a SUPER COMPUTER that could handle all this... (however using waves you could have a server mission for dogfight that lasted days if not weeks with AI planes spawning...  mind blown yet?)

Next I have to work on the Individual Plane Option Quick Pick Choices... and I have to fix how the Flight Editor handles using aircraft from a different team in the current team...

What I mean is that USA is the default country when you pick a P-51.  And I have ways of defining default enemies so that when you pick the P-51 in the Blue team, it goes to Germany by Default...  But maybe for some planes, it is Japan...  Same thing with some Soviet planes...  a lot of times for using them in the Blue team, they would go to Finland, because they often re-purposed captured planes.  A lot of captured German planes were used by the Soviets as well...  Right now my algorithm is not working well, so I have to fix it.

OK, enough coding for one day... I have to turn attention to family!

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2023, 12:19:10 PM »

Been having some difficulty with the "opposing team" routine, so I decided to make changes to UQCT and was able to make a nice solution that will be loaded as a part of the initialization files instead of trying to do the logic in UQMG Max itself.  That part is done, so now I need to make a few changes to UQMG Max because I essentially increased the Aircraft initialization file by one column.  No biggie.  Posts later.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2023, 03:47:57 PM »

Regenerated initialization files for UQMG Max (WAW 4.2.2 hf 4).  That took about 21 minutes in UQCT.  Not too bad.

I tried posting a video of the progress but I had issues with the background music that limited distribution.  I'll try something later with copyright-free music I guess.

Started Working on the Waypoint Editor again.  Have some routines to make it work right, and I need to start tying it to the Flight Editor, then tying it all to the main interface.  Lots of work.

Oh, the Flight Editor is very stable so I am fairly pleased with how smooth it is working.  This will go a long way to have good user experience.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2023, 10:30:58 PM »

Another attempt at a video to show current progress.  This time with no copyright music that will get it banned.  I hope.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.