Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultrapack Feature Freeze  (Read 476 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Ultrapack Feature Freeze
« on: November 04, 2023, 08:05:34 AM »

Over the years, I've been the driving force behind Ultrapack's development, not because I want to do it all alone, but because finding capable modders interested in an online-dedicated modpack for IL-2 has become a real challenge. I do have experience in leading developer teams, having spent 17 years as a software developer for a well-known Japanese company. However, this project is different, and sometimes, you don't get the resources you wish for.

If you look at the timeline, you'll notice long gaps between releases, which can be attributed to my real-life commitments. A significant career change and the demands of my new role have limited my free time. This is my hobby, and it's important to me, but it's time-consuming, and I often find myself dealing with issues rather than enjoying the game.

That's why I'm announcing a feature freeze for Ultrapack. I simply don't have the time to implement new features anymore. I'll continue to focus on fixing bugs for a while, and then the development will either stop or someone else will need to step up. If anyone is interested in taking over Ultrapack Development, you can access our Assembla Repository to see the codebase. Register on Assembla, and I'll add you to the "team".

I understand that not everyone may agree with my approach or decisions, and that's perfectly fine. I'm aware that some of you might think I'm an "asshole" or "bold". My aim is to be straightforward, and while I respect different viewpoints, I don't beat around the bush when stating my own.

I don't expect everyone to like what you read here, but I do ask for consistency in your actions. If you have concerns, consider taking responsibility and taking action. Make it your own.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Dimlee

Re: Ultrapack Feature Freeze
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 04:11:59 PM »

It was a job well done. The rest (or retirement) is fully justified.

I can't say for modders, but "ordinary" players like myself have got so much from Ultrapack already that it would take a long time to study and enjoy everything.

And the fact that all that was done as a hobby makes me awe in admiration.
Hats off to Storebror, to the SAS team, and to everyone who made it possible.

Draken

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »

Thanks for all the awesome work done until now  .

What is the " assembla repository " ?
Add me to the team , please .
I wish to learn  .
( but I am a " slow hand " : I go forward , but very slowly  :) )

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 02:07:46 AM »

To make life easier, I decided to shift the Ultrapack Code Repository to Github.
That way, even unregistered users have access to the original sources.
I'm planning to release all required tools and stuff to create the release packages at a later date, can't promise a schedule right now.

For the time being, and since Java is the core part of all our Ultrapack Modifications, have fun browsing the Github repos.

For historical reasons there's an archived version of the latest stage of Ultrapack 3 ("RC4") and DBW jointops available here:
https://github.com/MichaelStiefler/sas_il2_up3_dbw_repo

The current Ultrapack repositories are as follows.
It's 3 repos following the same pattern like our release scheme, i.e. we have one repo for the base pack (Ultrapack 3.4 "Cassie"), one for Patch 2, and one for the current Hotfix:
https://github.com/MichaelStiefler/IL-2-1946-Ultrapack-3.4
https://github.com/MichaelStiefler/IL-2-1946-Ultrapack-3.4-Patch-2
https://github.com/MichaelStiefler/IL-2-1946-Ultrapack-3.4-Patch-2-Hotfix

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

FNRennier

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 01:02:29 PM »

SAS~Storebror,
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the time you dedicated to UltraPack, thank you very much!
Success and much happiness to you!

=FN=Rennier
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.