Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AI dont dive bomb in DGEN campaign  (Read 336 times)

gregfp66

AI dont dive bomb in DGEN campaign
« on: October 07, 2024, 04:27:29 AM »

Hello i'm using the dgen bat campaign pack

And i've got a problem

I'm doing a campaign as japan against china in a ki-27, when we are tasked with ground attack, the AI just do level bombing instead of dive bombing or other attack

I've got the same problem as a campaign in Burma flying the P-38

Is there a fix for this?

Vampire_pilot

Re: AI dont dive bomb in DGEN campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 05:33:15 AM »

That can't be answered completely with the info at hand, but I can give you the idea of the background.

What airplanes do you mean specifically? Neither Ki-27 or P-38 can divebomb at all.

Of course only those classified as divebomber in their classfile can divebomb at all. But the bombing behavior pattern the AI choses, is based on complex conditions.

The GAttack waypoint altitude is one of those. That waypoint must be above a certain level (2000 or 2500 meter iirc). If it is below that, the AI will chose a low level fighterbomber style attack (not levelbomb, for dievbombers)

Big levelbomber have the same principle. if the GAttack is too low, you can watch B-17s precision bomb in a shallow dive and not level bomb.

Now you have to understand how DGEN works. It is a randomisier that picks from certain database files and mission templates (all in the DGEN folder). If these define such waypoints at low altitude only for the given campaign -> No divebombing.

IIRC the plane type can be assigned roles and when the plane you are watching is not assigned a divebomber role in these databases for the given campaign, they will most likely never get added in that role with any of the specifics for the mission parameters addressed by DGEN.exe.

So, a solution would only be someone to dig into these files and analyse and modify. That may or may not produce any desirable or undesirable effects.

It is not a bug, it is not a BAT specific issue, it is something that's around as long as IL-2 exists. DGEN basically is acting as a game within a game

PS: Most (if not all by today's standard) of the DGEN campaigns and all those databeses for them are the work of modders in one way or anyother. So they reflect the knowledge and abilities of those modders at the time of their creation.
(just in case you think this all should be perfect  ;D )

taly01

• MY Sim Tech
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2024, 10:42:40 PM »

Sounds mostly like an altitude problem, DGEN_MOD uses a whole new set of files, mostly found in \DGen and \DGen\mod, also I don't know what version of DGen you have in BAT now. But generally,

Divebombers require >1500m attack altitude
HeavyLevelBombers >3000m or even higher
Ground attack like P-38 or Ki27 with bomb may need 500m to do shallow attack in nice glide.
Torpedo bombers 100m or even lower for early torpedos

DGEN MOD uses
\DGen\mod\Allweapons.dat
is a list of target types that must be correctly linked to weapon load
 ie. TBF1C;1000;500;1;0;1;0;0;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;2x20FragClusters;All
eg. do attack convoys, troops, buildings; don't attack tanks, ships with weapon 2x20FragClusters
flys at 1000m waypoints, attack waypoint is 500m

original DGEN uses simpler
 \DGen ***planes.txt (or .dat)  ***=campaign name
eg.  Allies   USA        CTBomber        TBF1C                 400 1000 500 2x20FragClusters                                 0
where its speed(indicated), flight altitude, attack altitude

If you make P-38 and Ki27 lines with rockets or bombs you want attack height <500m DGen will automatically use that on mission generation.
  P.S. be very careful not to add extra tabs, spaces to these lists as it will crash DGen!

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 10:49:01 PM »

The additional BAT DGen pack is based on VP DGen and Enjoyr.
They didn't say what plane they were looking at but I also suppose it's not defined as Divebomber in whatever campaign but as a regular ground attacker only, therefore the DBomb thresholds are never met.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.