Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DirectX or OpenGL?  (Read 5905 times)

brettt777

DirectX or OpenGL?
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »

Here are my system specs:

Asus G73
HDMI output to Samsung SMXL2370HD
i7 720QM 1.6 ghz
8gb DDR3
Radeon HD 5870 1gb DDR5
Windows 7 Home Premium
Logitech G940 system
TrackIR 5

So I am wondering if I need to run DirectX or OpenGL? And should my video be set to max settings or ATI Radeon? I had the game patched up to 4.09 and it seemed to be running fine, then put 4.10 in and immediately followed that with 4.10.1. Now I can start the game and it will run for a few minutes and then go blank and lock up and I have to do a hard reboot.
I am also wondering about this JSGME. Is this something I need to have if I just want to install a few mods like the Sabre and Migs or the TF9-J or can I just install them and enable them manually somehow? In the start application this JSGME has several mods listed like Classic Mod Game, SAS Modact 3, Ultrapack 3 and Dark Blue World. What are these and when should I use them?
I do apologize for all the questions but I am very new to IL2 (like, I just got IL2 1946 a couple days ago).

hguderian

• Modder
Re: DirectX or OpenGL?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »

About the right choice I say OpenGL for sure! Il2 is optimized for OpenGL and with this set you can play in Perfect mode.

About lock ups it seem you've messed up your game installation. Jgsme is only a tool (really useful) to select mods. You can see the "Classic Mod Game, SAS Modact 3, Ultrapack 3 and Dark Blue World" list only into the selector which come with DBW...so I assume you've patched IL2 to 410.1, then you've installed UP3 up to RC4, then DBW entirely up to v1.6.

When you want to play in DBW mode you must firstly select it from the selector (in this case DON'T activate via Jgsme any folder prefixed with #UP and, if they're already selected deactive them).

brettt777

Re: DirectX or OpenGL?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »

Well, I am still having issues where I get a blank screen or sometimes green or grey and everything locks up. I know this is probably some kind of issue with my video drivers; I just totaly uninstalled the newest drivers and went back a few versions (the new drivers were doing the same thing). And it does happen in other sims as well. But, I just want to make sure I have everything the way it's suppose to be in IL2. I have it patched up to 4.10.1, I have SAS Modact 306 installed along with SAS Buttons 9.5.7. All of the mods I previously installed are removed so that if I start it with the new il2fb.exe, I get the exeecutable selector. I set it for a a stock game and the sim starts and loads okay. The I usualy have a lockup but that is probably another issue as I said. I installed the IL2 1956 mod exactly like it said, putting all of the aircraft and cockpit components in the MOD directory and the skins in the paintscheme directory. I edited the air.ini, plane_ru amd weapons_ru exactly as the instructions stated but when I try to start the sim just like I did before, it gets to about 95% and just hangs up. So does something like the IL2 1956 mod need to be activaed with JGSME or should I just start the sim and it's there?
Do the entries into the air.ini, plane_ru amd weapons_ru have to be installed in some certain location in those files or can they just be added onto the bottom in no particular order?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.