Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Beaufighter TFX  (Read 23521 times)

dsawan

Re: Beaufighter TFX
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »

the beau variants shd be represented in full in this sim. i hav eplayed cfs 2's versions, strike fighters and even cfs 3 but il2 stands out.

Docholiday

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »

Why I have the impression that I am not the only who loves planes like this  ??!  ;) 8)

The later TF.X often had remouved wing-MGs,  but they had more ammo for the 2cm canons. I have read it in one of my book. If I remember right they had  180 instead of 150 shot per gun.
But I have to read it again for being sure !

BTW: Only the really really late war TF.X had the dorsal fin !

Cheers

dsawan

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »

Red_Fox90

• Aviator Mod Team
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »

BEAUtiful, this is a well needed plane :)
Thanks Docholiday!

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

Doc, my mail addy is Mudmover@xxx.yyy
any questions?

:D

and no, anything with 4!! forward firing Cannons centered in the nose instantly gets my attention...

Thunda

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »

Yes, dsawan, but with all due respect, wiki is hardly a concrete reference source for WWII aircraft (or anything for that matter).

This is great that you have taken time to give our Beaufighter a makeover, doc. 180rpg on the 20mm is probably correct, as there is a lot of room back there. However, the pilot entered through the floor of the aircraft about a third of the way down from the nose and made his way forward through some armour plated bulkhead doors, so the ammo tanks would have to have been arranged so as to not impead the pilot. The breech blocks for the cannon were just aft of the bukhead. Another reason I can't imagine a third crew member, as he would have to have sat with the bulkhead doors open.

Even with two crew, can you imagine the pilot trying to exit a burning, diving aircraft? Near impossible I would say.....
n

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »

Even with two crew, can you imagine the pilot trying to exit a burning, diving aircraft? Near impossible I would say.....
n

Wasn't there a little poem about how a Beau always sank straight away whenever the crew ditched? Given the difficulty of the pilot exiting, ditching must have been an unattractive last resort.

Thunda

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:28:44 AM »

Just an idea- As sputnik has, with your help, released the wonderful 'microwave mossies' pack, if we fitted your thimble nose (MkVIII radar) to the Beaufighter to make a MkVIF- 1000 of which were built and heavily used (longer carb air intakes on top of the engines, apart from that, same 3D as Mk IF) we would have every twin engined RAF night-fighter used in the war, apart from Beaufighter MkIIF (Merlin engined). We even have the Blenheim MkIF. Only other aircraft involved in RAF night fighting would be the Hurricane and the Defiant.

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 03:51:56 AM »

@doc:
Concerning Thunda's proposal, should we start a 'holidayshock-sputnikdoc' joint effort to cross last few meters to the finish line and have the complete RAF nighfighter fleet in the hangar? Let me know if I can do any kind of support work for the Beau.
sputnik

Docholiday

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »

@doc:
Concerning Thunda's proposal, should we start a 'holidayshock-sputnikdoc' joint effort to cross last few meters to the finish line and have the complete RAF nighfighter fleet in the hangar? Let me know if I can do any kind of support work for the Beau.
sputnik

This sounds good to me ;)

I already thought about asking You for a FM for a TFX 8)

Doc

Thunda

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »

Some performance data in a link on previous page. I think some of the early production of the MkIVF retained MkIV radar, but very soon moved to the more capable MkVIII requiring the thimble nose. 68sqn (Czech) were a large, successful user of this model. Most were painted grey all over with green camo stripes like the mossies, rather than the earlier all black finish.

Thunda

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »

Ah-typical. No sooner posted than I'm going to contradict myself.

The link I mentioned previously is good for the TFX, with the low altitude rated Hercules Mk VI's. For the MkVIF, they ran the higher altitude rated MKVI or MkXVI's, rated at 1670 hp (1245kW) @ 7500ft (2285m). First entered service in early '42, without the wing guns they could carry loads of extra fuel making them much more versatile. First model to introduce the diheadral tail. Used in far east and with US 1st tactical air command.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.