Author Topic: F-86H  (Read 2416 times)

mojojojo

• the only guy who uses the wildcat in multiplayer
F-86H
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:15:47 AM »

this was the final saber variant:
Number Built: 473 F-86Hs (+2 YF-86Hs)
Powerplant: One General Electric J73-GE-3E turbojet engine, 8,920 lbs. thrust
Weight: Empty 10,495 lbs., Loaded 16,357 lbs., Maximum takeoff weight 24,296 lbs.
Dimensions: Wingspan 39’1?, Length 38’10?, Height 15?.
Performance: Maximum speed 692 MPH, Cruising speed 527 MPH, Service ceiling 50,800 feet.

some more info:

The F-86H Sabre, perfected after the signing of the Korean Armistice, represented the practical application of knowledge gained from the thousands of combat missions flown by its predecessors, the F-86A, E, and F. Intended primarily for use as a fighter-bomber, it was larger and heavier than the earlier models and had better overall performance.

North American Aviation initiated development of a purely fighter-bomber version of the Sabre on 16 March 1951 as the model NA-187.

More than 450 F-86H airframes were produced from late 1953 to August 1955. Although never used in combat, the F-86H provided the USAF with a formidable fighter-bomber aircraft until the advent of the supersonic F-100.

With a more powerful engine than its predecessors, the new design could carry a heavier payload. In order to accommodate the additional power of the General Electric J73 engine, the area of the air intake had to be increased. The fuselage was also lengthened by over two feet and widened by a few inches. Designers used the additional space inside the fuselage to increase the internal fuel capacity from 435 to 562 gallons, and four underwing stations were added for bombs or drop tanks. The horizontal and vertical tail surfaces were increased in size for greater lateral and longitudinal stability.

Several features were borrowed from the F-86D model. As in the F-86D, the horizontal tail lacked dihedral and a clamshell cockpit canopy was fitted in place of the rearward-sliding canopy of the F-86F. The cockpit was more spacious than that of any previous Sabre variant, and had a new ejection seat originally developed for the F-86D.

The Air Force initially ordered 150 of these fighter-bombers under the designation F-86H, the first two to be built in California and the remainder in Columbus, Ohio. A contract finalized on November 3, 1952 increased this order to 175.

The first F-86Hs were to have six 0.50-inch machine guns with the type A-4 GBR gunsight using the AN/APG_30 radar rangefinder, but later production aircraft were to be armed with four 20-mm T-160 cannon. Since the F-86H was to have a nuclear capability, an M-1 LABS toss-bombing computer was to be installed.

The first YF-86H-1-NA made its maiden flight on 30 April 1953, piloted by Joseph Lynch. The first of 112 Columbus-built F-86H-1-NH fighter-bombers made its maiden flight on 4 September 1953. It had extended leading edges and carried an armament of six 0.50-inch machine guns. Deliveries did not get underway in quantity until Columbus had delivered the last of its F-86F-25-NHs, which was in May of 1954.

Ten F-86Hs had been delivered by the end of June 1954, but operational testing was delayed by accidents. Responsibility for testing the airplane was assigned to the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base.

Since the airframe of the F-86H limited it to subsonic speed in level flight no matter how great the power, the production run of the F-86H was relatively short. A total of 473 were built, all but the first two at North American's Columbus, Ohio factory.

i'd prefer the later model with 4x20mm, but the .50cal model is fine, too.
i7 4790K quad core 4.4GHz/8GB DDR3-1600/ASUS Z87-A/ EVGA GTX 970 4GB/128GB A-Data SSD+1TB HDD/EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU/ NZXT Source 530 gaming case

NS~mati140

• #27 of the New Squadron (NS)
Re: F-86H
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »

I was going to post this request recently when I saw this. Just +1 for this request, it's a much needed plane, as we lack USAF cannon-armed counterpart for MiG-17. AMT, any chance for this plane in JetWar?

Telmo

• Un Kamikaze Fran
  • Profite bien de la paix, camarade...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »

+1 for this plane .

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »

Funny enough I woke up this morning thinking about that plane.
I assume the AMT modders are way busy atm releasing and pushing existant WIPs.
Other than that, great plane!

US_GRANT

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 01:07:47 PM »

One thing folks keep forgetting. DBW can be flown online as long as all users have the same stuff. It's the same with any of the other mods out there. If I am running a mod that works offline for me, but my buddy does not have that mod, when we play online, issues may arise. That simple. HSFX is the same way. If you have expert mode on, ALL players MUST have Expert mode on. If expert is off, the all must turn it off. If I'm running a mod that is using classfiles that conlfict with a mod my buddy has, we WILL have problems when playing online.

When I was in the 51stFIS, my squad hepled get Jet War 1.0 up and running. We did ALOT and I mean ALOT of online flying to check compatability. Many, many manhours of stick time to get it worked out.

The same would hold true for DBW, However, follks need to understand that DBW was PRIMARILY for OFFLINE use so mod compatabilty would not be as big an issue as using it online. When you factor online use into a mod, you increase the workload at least five fold.

Be patient and you will find that the modders will make things work.

SAS~Anto

• Aussie Bush Pilot
  • Editor
  • Retired from modding
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »

Okay I've cleaned this request up a little. US_GRANT's thread might look a little out of place but I'll leave it as he raises a good point (in this case, about compatibility of jets etc).

This thread was getting political and ached of the old site vs site attitude that plagued the community until recently. This stops here. No further comments. Regarding 1956 v1.2 and HSFX: I am in the very early stages of converting the SAS AI Engines Carriers Hotkeys mod to 4.111m. When this is done, 1956 v1.2 will run natively in 4.111m. From there, it is up to the HSFX if they want to adopt the code (which the sources will be provided or them if requested).

Just to add: there are no current plans for AMT to make the F-86H. It was considered many months ago but we instead opted to work on other projects due to the many Sabre variants already available.

Baco

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »

Anto that AWSOM news! Thnak you sir!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.