Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: F-104 Starfighter  (Read 45181 times)

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
F-104 Starfighter
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »

Some but not all info below is at this page: http://www.airplanedriver.net/study/f104.htm
but much more is available there if needed.

Lockheed F-104G Starfighter - Specifications:

General

•Length: 54 ft., 8 in.
•Wingspan: 21 ft., 9 in.
•Height: 13 ft., 6 in.
•Wing Area: 196.1 sq. ft.
•Empty Weight: 14,000 lbs.
•Loaded Weight: 20,640 lbs.
•Crew: 1(2 seaters were developed, but i prefer the single seat such as the most widely used F-104G)

Performance

•Power Plant: 1 × General Electric J79-GE-11A afterburning turbojet
•Combat Radius: 420 miles
•Max Speed: 1,328 mph(speed record in f-104 set at 1400mph)
•Ceiling: 50,000 ft.

Armament

•Guns: 1 × 20 mm (0.787 in) M61 Vulcan cannon, 725 rounds
•7 Hardpoints(later variants often had 9): 4 x AIM-9 Sidewinder, up to 4,000 lbs. bombs, rockets, drop tanks
(this doesnt show it, but i found evidence that later models were updated
to carry the AIM-7 Sparrow missile)

UPDATE(more concise info on armament)
                Basic armament of the F-104 was the M61 Vulcan 20 mm Gatling gun. The Starfighter was the first aircraft to carry the new weapon which had a phenomenal rate of fire of 6,000 rounds per minute. The cannon, mounted in the lower part of the port fuselage, is fed by a 725-round drum behind the pilot's seat. It was deleted in two-seat models and some single-seaters (the gun bay and ammunition tank could be replaced by an additional fuel tank). Two AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles can be carried on the wingtip stations which can alternately be used for fuel tanks or other stores. F-104C and later models added a centerline pylon and two underwing pylons under each wing for bombs, nuclear weapons, rocket pods, or tanks. The centerline pylon could carry a catamaran launcher for two additional Sidewinders, although the installation had minimal ground clearance and made the seeker heads of the missiles vulnerable to ground debris. The F-104S and some F-104G and F-104J models added a pair of fuselage pylons beneath the intakes, usually used for Sidewinders (providing better ground clearance than the catamaran launcher and leaving the centerline available for other stores). The Italian F-104S also added an additional pylon under each wing, for a maximum of nine. The F-104S was cleared for a higher maximum takeoff weight allowing it to carry up to 7,500 lb (3,400 kg) of stores; other Starfighters had a maximum external load of 4,000 lb (1,814 kg).

Design & Development:

Employing a short, trapezoidal shape, the XF-104's wings were
extremely thin and required protection on the leading edge to avoid injury to ground crews. These were
combined with a "t-tail" configuration aft. Due to the thinness of the wings, the XF-104's landing gear and fuel
were contained within the fuselage.
Initially armed with a M61 Vulcan cannon, the XF-104 also possessed wingtip stations for AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles.
Later variants of the aircraft would incorporate up to nine pylons and hardpoints for munitions.
Entering service on February 20, 1958, as the F-104 Starfighter, the type was the USAF's first Mach 2 fighter.

Possessing impressive speed and climb performance, the F-104 could be tricky aircraft during takeoff and landings. For
the latter, it employed a boundary layer control system to reduce its landing speed. In the air, the F-104 proved very
effective at high-speed attacks, but less so in dogfighting due to its wide turning radius. The type also offered
exceptional performance at low altitudes making it useful as a strike fighter.

Operational History:

Entering service with 83rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron in 1958, the F-104A first became operational as part of the USAF
Air Defense Command as an interceptor, the last aircraft leaving USAF inventory in 1969. The type was retained by NASA
which used F-104 for testing purposes until 1994.
Though the F-104 proved unpopular with the USAF, it was exported extensively to NATO and other US-allied nations.
Other large buyers included the Germany, Italy, and Spain who bought the
definitive F-104G variant beginning in the early 1960s. Featuring a reinforced airframe, longer range, and improved avionics,
the F-104G was built under license by several companies including FIAT, Messerschmitt, and SABCA.
Utilizing various modernization programs, Italy continued to fly the Starfighter until finally
retiring it in 2004.

cockpit

simple blueprint

frontal view showing the thin wing

it employed a boundary layer control system to reduce its landing speed.
This system uses engine bleed air to blow over the trailing edge flaps whenever they are extended beyond 15 deg.
This allows slower approach and landing speeds, but does result in a loss of lift if the throttle is closed prior to touchdown.
The valve that controls this is mechanically driven by the flap actuator, thus is always in the proper position.

takeoff/climb/landing performance

takeoff:
Liftoff will occur about 190 kts
Gear Up - Complete before 260 kts
Flaps Up - 300 kts (240 kts minimum)

climb:
Mil Power climb 400 kts 0.85 Mach 12 deg nose up
Max Power climb 450 kts 0.90 Mach 38 deg nose up

landing:
Over fly runway at 1500 ft AGL, 325 kts and flaps "Takeoff"
Gear Down - below 260 kts
Flaps "Land" - 210 to 240 kts
Maintain 200 kts during turn to final
Fly final approach at 170 kts + 5 kts per 1,000 lbs fuel over 1,000 lbs.
Touchdown 150 kts minimum

Engine:

The F-104 is powered by a GE J79 engine. The J-79 has a 17 stage axial flow compressor, and a three stage turbine.
Maximum thrust is 15,800 lbs. in full afterburner,
and 10,000 lbs. at military power. For reference, 100% = 7,460 rpm.
"ON" starts a 45 second ignition cycle

fresco23
cogito, ergo sum armatus

kaxII

• Modder
Re: F-104 Starfighter
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

plus 1 (my phone doesn't have the plus sign or i cant find it :P)

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »

plus 1 (my phone doesn't have the plus sign or i cant find it :P)

lol i know the feeling

for a better view of the wing shape/position

fresco23
cogito, ergo sum armatus

Tofolo

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

It's my favourite jet aircraft, so here goes my +10^99999 :P

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

I wonder if it could be frankenble from the mig 21, changing the 3d, hOoks etc and keeping the flight model as they should be similarish.

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »

thanks for the support guys

I wonder if it could be frankenble from the mig 21

Look im all for seeing it sooner rather than later if its gonna be done at all... but, i gotta say i agree with crazyflak on this one... the Mig21 guys have put a LOT of work and time into that project, and i'd hate to see all their work used right off the bat to help someone else's project go easier. Not to mention, I for one am really looking forward to the Mig21!!!! and if i knew that there was another plane that even remotely took advantage of it, then it wouldn't be as special!

I'd be willing to wait for this to be done right, because the Starfighter could be a ton of fun.

fresco23
cogito, ergo sum armatus

Blazing

• Harbour Master
  • Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »

it would most likley be easier if it was a fresh start then a franken anyway most times there are errors or trouble with remodelling it into shape

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

it would most likley be easier if it was a fresh start then a franken anyway most times there are errors or trouble with remodelling it into shape

Agreed. Hopefully one day it may come to pass. But for now i shall go and +1 the Thud!

fresco
cogito, ergo sum armatus

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »

Yes, I must admit, that would be very cooooool!  :)
"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 12:28:36 AM »

I will go batshit crazy, and hire two of you guys for a formation like this.

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »

I will go batshit crazy, and hire two of you guys for a formation like this.

haha! i play LAN with a few guys currently. Two of them are my brothers and we fly formations like that all the time! Started it in campaigns in the bf 109, but now fly jets often. Its quite difficult at those jet speeds.

and that would be a friekin awesome skin too...
cogito, ergo sum armatus

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 08:46:11 AM »

Here i have found a 3d model of the Starfighter.  ;D

it is .max format.
I cant personally download it and give it to any modders because i am not a member of the website it is available on. getting it for free requires uploading a 3d model of your own(as an offering to the community i guess). And since i cant build 3d models, im stuck.
Anyway, if any modders are interested in picking up this project/have time to tackle it, here is a possible 3d model to use!

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/preview.aspx?modelcode=9401

thanks!
fresco

p.s.: every time i look at this airplane i am struck by its graceful beauty 
cogito, ergo sum armatus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 27 queries.