Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A WW1 sim I am very much looking forward to.  (Read 5004 times)

alotef

• Modder
A WW1 sim I am very much looking forward to.
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:18:53 AM »

Hey SAS,
Here's a sim that I have been tracking/lurking for a while now. I haven'd had the opportunity to play it yet, but from what videos/images I've seen and accounts I've heard, it is a truly stunningly immersive WW1 sim; Over Flanders' Fields.
Based on the crappy Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3, the team behind the game have revamped everything, from graphics to AI, from FM to DM. Amod-cum-standalone game, OFF version 4 is about to be released, with many new nice WW1 birds and scenery.
It will be called "Wings over Flanders' Fields", and it boasts a very dynamic and accurate campaign generator. (ie. If it was snowing on April 23rd, 1915, it will be snowing on that date in-game.)
Here is some eye candy; maybe some OFF veterans around here could give us the low-down on this top-notch modding effort?

~Mike

Ramone

Re: A WW1 sim I am very much looking forward to.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

Don't know anything about this sim but that scenery looks superb.

alotef

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

Here's their site;
http://overflandersfields.com/info.htm
I agree, the scenery really does look amazing.  ;D
~Mike

David Prosser

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »

Hi altoef. I remember seeing items on it in the RB3D forums circa 2006. It looked pretty good then. A lot of work has been done since then I guess. I'd like to buy it when I get back to Korea.

cheers

David

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS

Gumpy

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »

I used to play that game when they came out with the first three versions,then on the fourth update they wanted 50$ dollars for it and you had to order it from England or forward the 50 bucks to someone in your area who already had gotten it and either they would send you their DVD or make a copy for you and send it to ya.(very risky in my opinion)The first two versions were very buggy,then a lot of improvements on the third but still kinda buggy.By then I had discovered First eagles by Thirdwire and never looked back,much more user friendly and a hell of a lot easier to mod. Tons of mods and skins for it here   http://combatace.com/files/category/358-first-eagles-by-thirdwire/ Here's another thing about Over Flanders Fields,if you don't have a copy of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 handy to install,then your shit outta luck.I don't know about their newest version but,on the first three you had to have it installed before you could install OFF.

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »

It looks nice. But regarding graphics, and I would say simulation itself, the Rise of Flights is a hard contender for this game.

Nonetheless I wish the best of the luck for the designers.

Regards,
                          Pablo

Gumpy

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »

You are right benitomuso Rise of Flights is a hard contender,the only thing I don't like about it is having to pay for planes and as far as modding,that's up to the guys who built the game with their sometimes very long and heavy game updates. 

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:48:18 AM »

i have question regarding oF and it's payware policy...and i am only asking because i simply don't know.
is it possible/doable/allowed to exchange paid-for planes with mates, in a sort of 'second-hand' trading scene, or does each individual person need to buy a specific plane if they want it?
please don't bite me, i suspect it might be a big no-no, but i have to ask.  :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

The_Jester

• Mobilis in Mobili
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 01:58:52 AM »

I saw on the RoF forums that someone was giving away their DH.2. I think that may be possible.

gianluca

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 04:12:28 AM »

I do have OFF3 patched to the latest update (Hat in the Ring) but it's so demanding for my comp (more than FSX!) which is practically unplayable...

Gianluca

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:26:11 AM »

I played O.F.F. exclusively for about 3 or 4 months and it was just fantastic.  Then my interest waned.... IMHO the playability was lacking.  Then I found IL-2, M4T, and SAS.  I modded up to DBW just so I could fly the P-61.  Then VPMedia and his team created DBW_1916. I haven't launched O.F.F. for more than a year now and why would I.  I have the best of all possible worlds; WW1, Golden Age of Flying, SCW, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and ..... whatever the future holds.  There are not enough hours in the day for the fun you can have with IL-2.  There will never be enough gratitude for you folks that have given me so much.  Thanks.

..... and I didn't even mention the SHIPS!!!!  Awesome stuff AND SO MUCH MORE.... sorry my enthusiasm gets the better of me sometimes!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 26 queries.