Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Hancock CVA-19  (Read 29450 times)

AG-51_Razor

• Air Group 51
Re: USS Hancock CVA-19
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »

Wow, htat is really impressive. The detail is great. Can't wait to fly some A-1 missions off her.

It would be awesome to see CrazyFlak's new AD models aboard the Hand Job!!  :P

karla

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

Thanks chaps.

I'm slowly working my way from top to bottom and have reached the flight deck. There are plenty of details to revisit though - holes in SPS-30 radar dish, tonal fixes on walkways etc. I'm gradually changing the hue of the ship from a green-blue grey to more of a blue-grey and most of the texture maps are being reworked. Wherever I can I'm increasing the areas of important features such as doors so that finer detail can be added.

Some questions to save me research and testing time:
1) I want to delete most guns leaving only 4x 4.5" and it doesn't seem to work simply by deleting gun*.msh and head*.msh meshes and the associated lines in the hier.him file. Any guidance here please?

2) Once I've deleted the guns I'll need to add details in the empty sponsons but the images I have don't help much. Any useful websites? (Boosh maybe able to help).

3) What's the purpose of the 'node' mesh as a parent mesh? It seems to re-orientate the meshes from the central axes and configure them to the model; but why not just position the meshes in their respective positions in space?

4) Why do IL2 ships have underwater details - propellers rudders - wasting valuable vertices? I propose to delete as much as possible on CVA-19.

5) Help with Rawners' moving lift would be a bonus - oh! and lights would also be neat. Plus rotating radar (tx Razor).

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

Wow!
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

NS~mati140

• #27 of the New Squadron (NS)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »

When I saw this screenshot I initially didn't realise it's IL-2 :D Great work!

As for underwater details - they're here for the same reason that damage textures are - when you sink carriers, you see the rudders and propellors very often >:D

Also I don't think adding that eye-candy elevator is a good idea. IMO that elevator for Essex looked simply ridicoulus - it slided up and down without sense, and with visible jumps between postions (and inevitable lighting problems) - but that's for you to decide.

Anyway, even at this point it's the most beautiful and detailed carrier in this game. Good job.  ;)

AG-51_Razor

• Air Group 51
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »

Couldn't agree more with mati140, animated radar or not, this is a beautifu carrier! Can't wait to see it in game.

352nd_Hoss

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »

Haze Grey and Underway............................. 

Spent way too much time on Carriers, they are never the correct color for long, by the end of a cruise it's mostly a dull putty color and rusted....lol....  Everytime we stoped somewhere they hung the poor Boatswain Mates over the side and had em start painting................ and don't be late for ships movement either........... or you will be keeping the Bosn's company next time the boat stops.....

Hoss

NS~mati140

• #27 of the New Squadron (NS)
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »

Hoss, your post just made me realise how detailed this carrier is. Look at the waterline - you can actually see rust there!

Sleepingdragon

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »

Heh heh, the "handjob".......Knowing the Navy guys that I've known, that's not surprising. They can be merciless :D

Though I'm familiar with the great reputation the HCK had, I can only imagine the crap those guys must've caught in the wrong bar; It's still not as embarrasingas serving on the sub USS Jimmy Carter........I'd have to put in a request for a transfer to the CVN Reagan. Or lie about it when asked which ship I served on.  :P

I jest, as the HCK served well for three wars. There's some great shots of F-8s and A-4Fs on her deck in the early 70s.

I know that the USS Carter serves well also....though I'd hang a false name over it when in ports overseas.

I'll go home now.

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »

That is just outstanding work Karla.  :)

karla

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

Thanks for the interest and comments chaps. Hancock is still coming along - many hours but little to show for it at present. However, it's beginning to come together now and some features have been removed whilst other details added.

Removed/removing - flag, smoke, rotating radar, all guns except 4x 5", underwater details, many collision boxes, damage models, simplified shadows.

Added/adding - enhanced mast, enhanced radars, improved island details, elevator structures, safety netting, water ejections, cranes, opened doors, whip antennae, improved sponson textures, minor paraffinalia, anchors.

Considering - hanger cut-outs, stack chamfer, steam on a catapult.

Decided not to include - rotating radar, moving elevators, deck lighting.

Another couple of weeks to complete, I guess.

EDIT 9jul13: omissions added

AG-51_Razor

• Air Group 51
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »

Thanks for the update Kaela. It looks beautiful!!

Sleepingdragon

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »

Very impressive. It's a good idea to remove many of the guns on the angle deck Essex class, as they only retained a dwindling number of twin 3 in mounts. I don't know what you can use to simulate that though. But they sure didn't retain their galleries of 20mm. I look forward to deploying the HC.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.