Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: F-86 canopy smoothnes and detail  (Read 6179 times)

BOYAN

F-86 canopy smoothnes and detail
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »

Hey guys! I have a little request concerning the F-86 canopy. I know that there is a smoothened canopy WIP by mr. Jeronimo, and mr. Red Fox also had some work done on the matter. I was just wondering about the status of the modifications and would like to make a small request...

The front fixed part of the canopy always seemed a little big to me, and after detailed observations I concluded that adding a little more `metal` to the front cockpit frame would bring it closer to reality... Let me demonstrate on some quick photoshop...

Some RL pics for comparison...

What do you guys think? Oh, and also on the smoothening out subject. Will it only be applied on the sides or will the front side also get some work? This what I mean:

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
Re: F-86 canopy smoothnes and detail
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

Boyan, the mod is WIP and needs code work for the inner canopy mirror.

So, as long as no coder volunteers, this is WIP. ;)

On top of my 4.09m install of Histo

If any coder is willing, I ask Jeronimo for permission and forward the mod/link.
...please be patient.  ;) RedFox_90 is a 3D modder and so he cannot help here. ;) Albeit his work rocks, same as PA_Jeronimo's.

BOYAN

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

Thanks for the reply Tom! No hurry there, just wondering... What do you think about that front cockpit panels, do they seem too big to you compared to the real thing?

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »

Hi Boyan, since this has commented Tom is WIP still, although I have a version in my PC without the mirror, single the smoothed canopy, if it interests to him when it arrives at house I release it.

Jero.

SAS~Anto

• Aussie Bush Pilot
  • Editor
  • Retired from modding
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »

The whole F-86 model is porked. Nose and canopy shape were never right and if you look at the wing tips, you will notice a big oversight. Also the current wings only reprtthe F-86A variants with slats, not 6-3 modified wings.

So really the whole model needs fixing

BOYAN

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »

Well, considering model`s age, it can still hold its own... It would be rude of me to request an all model fixing.

Smoothening the canopy adds a lot to immersion IMO, and that front part looks a little big, adding more metal and lining that frame with the sliding canopy frame would help... 

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »

AFAIK both the DBW Jet Era Sabres and other pack's Sabres using those received an overhaul, which can be seen ingame in the munitions screen.

Also the Jet Era features the F-86F-40 version as well.

As for the front panel in the pit, to me the relations are very ok. The screen above was zoomed in and out with 6DOFNormalMousePAL.

Even with some parts missing, the cockpit looks better than any other sim's Sabre pit, especially with some of the original higher res textures and Chromhunt's repaints on some panels, rest default.
Love that pit. :)

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:37:48 AM »

As you can see in the picture I have softened only canopy.

BOYAN

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 05:47:02 AM »

Incredible how a small detail can have a huge impact! Thank you Jeronimo! What do you think about the size of that front fixed cockpit panel that I described in the request? It looks big to me when compared to real life thing...

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

The front is a little more complicated, on the other hand the side of the canopy can be modified easily

BOYAN

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »

Yes, I understand, but now the whole canopy (glass part to be precise) is too big, along with the front part... The original canopy frame is ok compared to the real thing IMO, its supposed to be a little `fat`, and the fixed canopy frame is in line with it in real life, but not in the game, which also makes the front cockpit part look bigger and out of proportions... Can you only modify the front part, is it too complicated? 

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Please don't try to convince Jeronimo to change the canopy, the way he edited the main canopy, it is as close as can be and looks kickass.

The mod is good as is, only needs some code for the inner canopy mirror.
Also keep in mind the front outside model of F-86s is default early F-86A design, later Sabre received the angular/curved front shield. A minor detail IMHO.
Even some Canadair Sabres variants has the early canopy front shield.
More important would be some cockpit details like greenish front center shield, white markings and most important the fat car style mirror, which can be strapped on and off in one version OR is mounted on a rail style housing at the same position.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.