Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Homebuilt Ultralight  (Read 9656 times)

rockdoon

• Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #42
    • sandbar mitchell
Re: My Homebuilt Ultralight
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:37 AM »

i wouldn't be able to come then ghost... because i would never build an Ultrafright Ultralight, smallest i would go is LSA haha anyways... good to hear the PvF, I've seen people try welding an aircraft structure, there first time welding  ??? anyways did you see my other message about checking out aircraft spruce?

kingsley

• Retired
  • My House Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »

Well a fine way to commit hari kari but will give a few heiping hints.
You need a little more curveture on the top of the wings and a tad bit flatter with a slight bit of a inside slope on the underside.
According to your weight and height your wing span should/might be around 35 to 45 ft.
Now to the prop variable pitch or constant pitch. Also have you worked out the lenght/width and amount of blades needed if and when you choose the engine. Recipal or tubo-prop
And have you looked into the compasite material instead the prices have fallen in the last few years.
                                                                                               Good Luck and God Speed
                                                                                               Kingsley

barrett_g

• Modder
  • Jug Lover
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »

I'd hate for you to spend all your money, build an ultralight, and then not be able to get it to fly... Structurally or legally if FAA won't sign off on it...  Take all the guess work out of it and build from a kit.  At least for your first airplane.  Then maybe you can venture into self-design.

My favorite is the CH-701 STOL "Sky Jeep."
www.zenithair.com

There are other, cheaper kits.... Some even resemble WWI aircraft.

HansHansen

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »

And Two: Hans, I will include structural washout, however I am not sure what you mean by the angular gap in the fin and rudder area. Could you possibly explain further?

Sorry, I lack the correct terminology.

My question is why you chose that angle for the trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer and/or leading edge of rudder. Why 20°-30° sweep instead of a straight vertical one ;)

Theoretically there will be a small amount of lift with every rudder deflection with your current design (depending of AoA of course). On purpose?

I hope you now can take an educated guess based on all the words i threw at you.

DD_BadAim

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »

Do try to avoid killing yourself, mate. We've only met once, and I'd like to have the chance again. :)

I can offer no help specifically on aircraft design or construction, but I have some experience with fabrication. My advice is to get every bit of practice with welding that you can. Aluminum is bloody tricky!

Oscarito

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 11:22:19 PM »

Hi!
The profile looks beautiful but, guess a low wing ultralight without dihedral may result unstable!
I suppose you're planning to put the fuel tank behind the cockpit, so if you take in account the sum of masses from engine, fuel and yourself, the center of gravity will be certainly too much above the center of lift, which is a little dangerous, to say the less.
Perhaps you could consider some dihedral, or bigger wingspan with cable bracing, or even better, a high wing design...
v4.12+MA 5.3 - Win 7

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »

Take all the guess work out of it and build from a kit.

Probably good advice, --- and you will learn a lot from the exercise.

P51vsFw190

• Flying Ass Clown #5/#7
  • Supporter
  • Connoisseur of strange aircraft
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Remember, I'm not even close to being done with the design. I will try to work your helpful changes into it. Thanks for all of the constructive support! This is why I love SAS.

Sincerely,

James/PvF
“German humor is no laughing matter”

rockdoon

• Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #42
    • sandbar mitchell
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »

I'd hate for you to spend all your money, build an ultralight, and then not be able to get it to fly... Structurally or legally if FAA won't sign off on it...  Take all the guess work out of it and build from a kit.  At least for your first airplane.  Then maybe you can venture into self-design.

My favorite is the CH-701 STOL "Sky Jeep."
www.zenithair.com

There are other, cheaper kits.... Some even resemble WWI aircraft.

As long as he works with an faa inspector and an IA  he should be fine, anyways PvF you should also check the home builders forum,  I'm currently in class so I can't give a link but just search for it and you should find it

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »

I have finally realized my dream of becoming an aircraft designer.

Oh you darey copycat xD
Anyway..

Dear Jamie,
I'd advise using trapezoidic wing (if it is called like this) instead of the pependicular rectangle - the rectangle has worse AoA characteristics... or trapezoid with curved end a'la La-5. :)

best regards,
K.
If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick.

Oscarito

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »

Hi!
Of course I've never built a full size aircraft but I have experience with air models from my own design, so I hope that can help with some ideas...

Yes, perhaps it is somewhat resembling early designs from Blériot and Fokker but those machines were not but ultralights from the past.
You know, similar designs for similar requirements... :-X
v4.12+MA 5.3 - Win 7

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »

I would be tempted to go with a more interesting design.

I like the wing on this design.

Simpler designs like this are common

You can get a lot of quite detailed plans on the web

But freaky designs like this really get my juices flowing

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.