Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 3917 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Reflections
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:34:02 AM »

I was reflecting (pun intended :) ) about various attempts to get some perception of canopy perspex, as seen from cockpit interior.

This is often achieved by reducing transparency, adding "things" that let "see" the glass, like scratches, smudges, blemishes and such.

I think real canopy glass should stay clean. If we see it in RL, it is just because, like all transparencies, it "reflects" something (please see following examples):

reflecting

not reflecting

So, generally we don't see canopy perspex from inside (indeed, we want to see landscape, not the canopy :D ), but it reflects, in certain condition, something inside the cockpit.

The only instance where I saw this, is about Ju-188:

where you barely can notice how control column reflects on front glass (arrows point in particular to its red button).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
GB

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Ranwers

• SAS Team
  • FiFi
Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »

I made this as mirror in game.
Remember, that it takes considerably longer to create a mod than a pretty screen shot

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »

Amazing job, really!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:49:16 AM »

... there is another one, much older than the Ju188, that was made by Capt Flushmeister (a.k.a John Wallin Liberto) that you can see in his FW190s cockpit repaints (later modified by Claymore in his FW190/Ta152 pack)

... and here is (in .jpg format instead of the original .tga format) the texture that does this:

Here is John Wallin's site (check the Aviation page)

http://www.johnliberto.com/

https://www.google.fr/search?q=john+wallin+liberto&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wv9mVZ3CJ4rWoASAv4CoBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1408&bih=670

http://designspartan.com/presentation/30-creations-incroyables-du-concept-artist-et-matte-painter-john-wallin-liberto/

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:03:10 AM »

Some pits where I increased or added or changed reflections..all available at SAS

F-80, F-6F, P-51, Mig-21PF/PFM, P-38, front shields often with Jeronimo's help!

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »

Mick, Tom,
sorry, there's a misunderstanding: Ju-188 control column mirrored image MOVES! It is not just "painted" on the glass!

Ranwers
I would learn how to do.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »

... ah OK, THX Greybeard, I didn't know (I never fly bombers ...)

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »

This is a very interesting topic.

I always wanted to have dead bugs and mosquitos splattered on my window  ;D

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Ranwers

• SAS Team
  • FiFi
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »

Ranwers
I would learn how to do.

See:
Mirror on the glass:

Here see mirror moved up (for better look):

Mesh glass read glass file.
Mirror read mirror file.
Thats all.
Remember, that it takes considerably longer to create a mod than a pretty screen shot

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »

That reflection of the control column on the glazing pretty much directly ahead of the pilot's position must be of the copilot's column. The angled panels ahead cannot reflect the pilot's column back to the pilot.

It is really neat the kinds of things we can get this game to do that either would formerly have been a hardship on older computer hardware, or what the developer originally didn't envision or have the resources to expend the time on.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »

It is worth pointing out that the 'softness' of plexiglass meant there was usually some degree of sleeking from cleaning, and some smattering of minute pits, all of which would scatter light. And if not recently given a good wiping down, there could be 'stuff' on the surface which would also scatter. Sunlight directly illuminating any glazing that's not pretty near immaculate in cleanliness and polish will cause some degree of scatter.

For this reason alone I do not at all like *really* clear canopy glazing. And I do quite like enough 'shmutz' to be easily enough seen because it greatly reinforces the presence of a material one is looking through. And it makes the truly clean view when the canopy is opened all the more appreciated. ;) and this. With 6DOF active, head movement and the resulting translation of the 'dirty' glazing greatly reinforces the sense of movement and location within the 'pit.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:59 AM »

Ranwers

Thanks for your explanation.

Although it would be possible improving it, as many in this thread have observed, personally I echo Poltava's comment. I think you set a new standard, hopefully followed by other modders.

Greetings,
GB
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.