Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow... in BAT?  (Read 1789 times)

NobleNerd

• Spinny Wing Machine Flyer Person
  • I need bacon.
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow... in BAT?
« on: September 27, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »

One of my most favorite movies ever made has got to be Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, an obscure dieselpunk fiction based on an old 40s or 50s comic book making use of technicolor and very early sci-fi sound effects.

For those who haven't seen the movie, it includes a heavily modified (and amphibious) P-40 Warhawk, giant robots, robotic ornithopters, flying aircraft carriers, amphibious canard-style fighters, a world-ending rocket, and a lot more dieselpunkish stuff. Just about everything in this movie looks like it would be perfect alongside things like Jetman and the Paulus Dragonflies.

Vampire_pilot

Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow... in BAT?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:23:48 AM »

Would it surprise you that I have thought about it?
A lot of crazy stuff can be done with all the fantasy and "46" material in BAT, in my opinion the magic's in building the settings and in the story telling.

(although -a flying aircraft carrier....)

and I put this into proper territory. This is not a proper "request" topic, it's better moved to to BAT lounge

W0W66

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 07:44:02 AM »

Fantastic plastic did a scale model.

http://fantastic-plastic.com/sky-captain-manta-fighter---retired.html

I liked Sky captain.  A bit hokey, but for me it was fun.

The flying carrier hmm.  As long as you do not damage too many main bits trying to land, you can slide off the forward part of the flight deck, build up speed, come round again.  No pesky ocean to swallow you up.

Manta carrier done in blender.
https://blenderartists.org/t/manta-station-from-sky-captain/483796/18

NobleNerd

• Spinny Wing Machine Flyer Person
  • I need bacon.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »

I've been wondering if things like airships and flying aircraft carriers would be better based on a script similar to ships. You'd have the smooth movement and much better durability, as well as the more fitting "sinking" animation (albeit faster). Heck, you'd even have the functioning flight deck on carriers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.