Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: AC-47 "Spooky" Gunship v 1.1  (Read 54943 times)

RooMan296

Re: AC-47 "Spooky" Gunship v 1.1
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »

Don't get me wrong...I love what you've done with the old bird. I'm just wishin' for a little more punch to the guns to match the awesome spectacle they deliver visually!

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »

It's possible that some of the new weapons code in UP 3.0 might have an effect on the guns on this plane and their recoil. The miniguns for this plane are actually slightly beefed up to let them kill trucks, etc. IRL, they were notoriously ineffective against vehicles, but since there's little else to shoot at in Il-2 I decided to make them a little more powerful. There are stories of crews putting 1000 rounds or more into trucks on the HCMT only to have them drive away afterward. Also, IRL the number of guns to be fired was selectable by the pilot, and usually only one or two were used at a time, in short bursts, with selectable firing speeds to conserve ammo and lessen recoil. I tried using multiple triggers for the guns but found it a big pain to use while trying to aim.

There was no autopilot capable of steering the plane in a circle. The pilot just had to be good enough to bank the plane and aim the guns. I think the problem is that some people imagine this to be like a modern AC-130, with cameras and aimed weapons. It just wasn't so. The AC-47 was the first of the practical gunships, with stationary guns aimed by the pilot while he banked around the target. Even the later AC-119 had fixed guns, though the pilot had the help of a crewman with a starlight scope who could call the fall of his shots.

For more info on aiming with the AC-47, check out: http://www.ac-119gunships.com/ac47/gunshipac47.htm

RooMan296

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »

Thanks for the info! And thanks for "Spooky" as well. I feel kinda bad for nitpicking the guns, etc..because it truly is one of my favorite planes to fly. But like you said, there are precious few things to shoot at as it is in IL2 or rather too few things that the AC-47 will destroy. So, while I realize it may be unrealistic to "beef up" the guns, it's almost a necessity to get any playability out of it at all. I went after a truck convoy just before I read your last post and didn't manage to destroy a single one (and yes, I was getting great hits on the convoy!) I like the challenge of aiming the guns and I think I have that down pretty good. It's just that it feels a little futile at times when very little is destroyed for one's efforts.

But it's still a blast to fly! A wee bit more "beef" would really make it great,

boogabooga

• Modder
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:16 AM »

Guys IIRC, this plane was invented so that if you had 2-3000 "bad guys" hiding in say an ACRE of jungle, you could make them STAY in that acre over the course of a night without them causing too much trouble, and take out a healthy percentage of them to boot. Nothing like that exists in IL-2. Even with great mods like checkyersix infantry ;) you are only going to pack, what, a few dozen onto a map. You will never have 'thousands' of targets. And there are no points just for making them keep their heads down long enough to disperse back into the local populace in the morning. Perhaps expectations should be adjusted to match.     

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »

I actually adjusted my prone infantry specifically to be easier to kill with this bird (5-man squads instead of 1-man squads). I'm not sure what's going on with the guns, I tried the QMB anti-armor run on Okinawa (non-UP 3.0) and managed to take out most of the truck column, as usual, so maybe it's a UP 3.0 issue or maybe it's just practice...

Dark Apostle

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »

Not sure what exaclty is the cause, but with DBW 1.7, using 6000rpm guns causes this thing to go into a flatspin followed by an end over end spin that sends you crashing into the ground. No issue with the 3000rpm setting however. Can someone else test this with a DBW 1.7 setup and see if it affects them as well?

Dark Apostle

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2012, 04:28:27 AM »

Cheers Gerax, and yes the flare pod is in the wrong place for me, was in 1.6 as well IIRC.

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

Why in the wrong position?

Athought unhappy the position for the flare is correct as they are throw trought the side doors because they haven't a bonb bay , so they are hand released....I have this from the first time I installe the mod and IIRC there was another mod that give at this kind of plane a bomb in the same location of the flare to act as late '30 adapted bomber....

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2012, 02:10:27 AM »

When having this plane with or without the 3d rework installed in ModAct 3.06 its OK,
threre is no Mk-24 flare pod visible.

Maybe you haven't the flare textures or you miss the whole weapon so they don't show nor work?

Since this is the same installation AFAIK why don't you try to install your 3.06 mod over this and test....

saab ja26

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »

Have the same issue in my install. Running DBW 1.7.1
Ryzen 5 2600/Wraith Prism, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte B450 Ds3h RGB, 8gb Radeon RX 580 4TB HDD

(-battlemaster-)

• B-52 the best.
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »

I'ff you want to make a version 1.2, this could be a good Idea!
the guns at the side, I'ff you make them gunner position then It is an perfect mod

annyway good work ;)

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »

Anyone got the AI compatible verison and have it working?

I got one (I don't find no more where I got it) but in mine only usable loadout is AI because the others give me a loading null error!

And moreover the AI at the target don't use guns but bomb with flare....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.