Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultrapack 3.4 "Cassie" Discussion, Talks, Feedback  (Read 32161 times)

Draken

Re: Ultrapack 3.4 "Cassie" Discussion, Talks, Feedback
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2024, 08:08:08 AM »

To the F-9F Panther,

and probably to some other jet planes

Draken

« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2024, 10:23:08 AM »

These planes are in both BAT-JTW and  Cassie .
In BAT-JTW they can do fuel dumping , but in Cassie they cannot .

F-9F2 Panther

Cougar

F-86 A

F-86 K

McDonnelDouglas Banshee

F-84 G

FJ-3 Fury

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2024, 12:16:44 PM »

Nice, thanks for the concise report.
I'll try to wrap my head around it asap.
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Draken

« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2024, 07:31:07 PM »

This is a P-51D-20NA with the default skin . It looks good .

But when it gets the skin of the 356th FG , there is an anomaly :
 the rims of the wheels are no more at the center of the whells .

FedeM1974

« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2024, 08:56:16 AM »

Hi! Just a question.

Is it safe to install it over 3.3 Big Foot version?

Many thanks!

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2024, 12:05:45 PM »

Yes absolutely.

FedeM1974

« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2024, 12:59:41 PM »

Tks!!

E69_Haukka

« Reply #343 on: May 13, 2024, 07:16:09 AM »

Thanks !
it would be nice if this feature could be available in Cassie .

I have discovered that we can use a static plane as a spawn point in Ultrapack Cassie, only it is not in the list of static planes, but rather it has its own category in the list of objects, it is the SpawnPlaceholder. I have tested it and it works perfectly well.

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2024, 02:16:49 AM »

For a while now, there's been a bit of a thorn in my side. Jet engines will sometimes randomly damage themselves, at no fault of the pilot. I don't know when this was added. I don't remember ever encountering this in any other version of the game, stock 4.07, 4.09, 4.10, 4.12, DBW, UP2, or BAT. I've run into it flying the Meteor, F-84, Me 262, and most recently, the Go 229. All of this damage has resulted in either the engine losing power, or setting itself on fire, in all instances while not moving the throttle; it's not engine mismanagement that causes it, it just seems to... happen.

It takes a great force of will to not use very strong language to describe how much I hate this, but man, do I absolutely despise it. It might be historically accurate, it might be immersive by some metric, but it just isn't any fun. It really ruins the experience of flying jets, having to be constantly on edge about whether your engines will randomly explode for no reason even if you do nothing wrong. It's also inconsistent: there's no random damage to piston engines; despite there being the possibility in real life of some engine troubles with piston engines due to defects or disrepair, this isn't modeled in-game, with piston engines running perfectly 100% of the time unless the user mismanages them.

An interesting quirk of this mechanic is that it's never happened to me while flying a jet that doesn't have engine unreliability mechanics that can damage the engine when the throttle moves too quickly. I've never had random engine fire or random engine damage on the Ta 183, for instance.

I've noticed that it tends to happen at high throttle settings, but then again, jets are usually flown at high throttle settings. Looking through the code for the Go 229, it seems to be a part of the rareAction() method, with a random chance of an engine being damaged every time the method is called, as long as the boolean argument is true. I tried to look for where rareAction() is called from; all I found was something in NetAircraft, that decides whether to call rareAction() based on some conditions that I don't understand the meaning of.

Is there something that can be done to avoid or mitigate this? Fly with lower throttle settings, possibly? Not use 100% power for over X number of seconds/minutes?
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2024, 03:17:52 AM »

Sorry to say but that's quite odd and anecdotal.

The fact that it only happens on planes where throttle movement can cause engine damage indicates that it could be throttle related. Maybe your joystick is damaged, resulting in throttle spikes?

Talking about the Go 229, the code in its "rareAction" method only causes the engines to explode randomly once they are on fire (astateEngineStates[...] > 3). That is something you would have noticed if it was true.
Furthermore, all other throttle movement damage (which is calculated in the "update" method by the way) only applies when the engine is not running at full power, or to be precise, at highest RPMs.
The only dangerous thing to do on this plane (and all other Jumo/BMW equipped ones) is to move the throttle too quickly when RPMs are below a certain threshold.
And this is something that happens quite easily when your stick has spikes on the throttle poti.

The next Ultrapack Patch will eliminate the spike issue as it smoothens the throttle movement on these jets internally.

]cheers[
Mike

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2024, 04:47:07 AM »

I understand your skepticism. Allow me to change that.

I've just run a few tests. All difficulty settings enabled except for (obviously) limited fuel. Set engines to 100% throttle, turn on level stabilizer, set 256x time warp, and switch out of the game window so that it's in the background, but still visible. By deselecting the game window, the possibility of joystick defects causing random throttle spikes is ruled out, as the game doesn't read inputs from keyboard, mouse, or joystick when there's a different window selected.

The aircraft selected for testing were the Meteor Mk. IV, the Go 229 A-1, the F-84G-1, and the Me 262 A-1a. Here's the testing data:

Meteor Mk. IV:
Test 1: after ~100 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 2: after ~90 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 3: after ~250 minutes elapsed game time, 1st engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 4: after ~260 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine smokes and suffers from decreased RPM

Go 229 A-1:
Test 1: after ~260 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 2: after ~540 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 3: after ~140 minutes elapsed game time, 1st engine catches fire and exploded, destroying the aircraft
Test 4: after ~80 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine suffers from decreased RPM

F-84G-1:
Test 1: after ~130 minutes elapsed game time, engine smokes and suffers from decreased RPM
Test 2: after ~350 minutes elapsed game time, engine catches fire and suffers from decreased RPM
Test 3: after ~320 minutes elapsed game time, engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 4: after ~140 minutes elapsed game time, engine catches fire and suffers from decreased RPM

Me 262 A-1a:
Test 1: after ~100 minutes elapsed game time, 1st engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 2: after ~90 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine suffers from decreased RPM
Test 3: after ~110 minutes elapsed game time, 2nd engine catches fire and suffers from decreased RPM
Test 4: after ~90 minutes elapsed game time, 1st engine suffers from decreased RPM

You're right: it did seem anecdotal at first. For a while I thought I'd gone crazy and that I had moved the throttle without realizing, but after testing, it's confirmed. Jets take damage randomly, every single time. The amount of time it takes varies, and it can be quite a large amount of time, and it's very rare, but there's no denying the data: 100% success rate, jet engines from these planes will always take damage given enough time running.

Edit: bears mentioning, of course, that all mods were disabled for these tests.
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2024, 06:29:49 AM »

Okay, on my 2nd test I saw it on the meteor for the very first time.
Good.
That way I can hunt it down.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 25 queries.