Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedford OXC and Queen Mary trailer. Second part of the recovery set build.  (Read 15620 times)

redarrows2006 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
Re: Bedford OXC and Queen Mary trailer. Second part of the recovery set build.
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2024, 05:09:13 PM »

I can't wait to see the final result...  but these things are never final are they?...  I have taken my own project which is a re-vision of my original mission generator.  It will take some time but it is therapeutic...
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2024, 03:09:08 AM »

I can't wait to see the final result...  but these things are never final are they?...  I have taken my own project which is a re-vision of my original mission generator.  It will take some time but it is therapeutic...

No one more than me wants to actually see this finished for sure but rush it I cannot and will not so I just try and enjoy each part of the build for what it throws up and try not to dwell on when/if it will be finished.  ;)
Neither of us are needing to work to any kind of deadlines, no targets as such, that is what messed up my health in industry so we must now enjoy the time we have with our respective projects, they give us something to enjoy for its own sake and something to retreat to for a bit of me time in this mad crazy world of ours.

I have looked in on your project every now and again and it looks very impressive I must say, sadly when I did play the sim I was more a scripted campaign user myself and only really use the quick missions for testing mods I work on, however, the more variety and ways of using this old sim the better I say so each can play in a way that they enjoy. Many these days seem to have little time to play anymore so a quick mission is a great way to allow at least some time with your hobby so it is good you are taking the time to update, for you and us, all benefit.  8)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2024, 01:20:54 PM »

Thank you.  I have put some thought into some interesting features, so hopefully I'll have a working demo in some time... I guess I will just use the "IL-2 two weeks" promise...  :D
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2024, 01:37:01 PM »

Hello again guys, there is now a further update to this project in the first page. ;)

This is not a big update, however, the vehicle now has a representation of glass and the front window frames so
I thought as it now looks a little more complete with windows you might like an update.

Okay then, I made a shape to try and replicate those front window frames first of all:

With a shape I could live with meshes were added to represent the glass:

A face was made back and front and for use in gmax the glass was made see through:

As per the Thorneycroft I set about making the texture just for the glass as a separate item and duly added
in some weathering such as dirt and something to look as though the wipers had been used:

If you look carefully, you can see the result in this image:

I also added some towing eyes to the front from the Thorneycroft just to get an idea of where best to place
them but I was not really happy with the shape:

Wipers, I forgot to mention them, here added and from the Thorneycroft as I thought they looked close enough
for our purposes:

I now made the front towing eyes again and a bar/fixture to attach them to, this is the best I could do as far
as interpreting what I could see in the photographs available:

It was difficult to tell just where the bar was on the vehicle but it seemed to be fixed/welded to the chassis
and so, I got it as close as possible. Here we also see the bolts that attach the radiator to the chassis but I
had forgot them in the last update so they became part of this mesh as adding them to the radiator build took
the mesh limit above what we can use for IL-2:

And finally, the finished items in sim:

And that is that for now, actually quite a small update for me but I had sent Alex a version with glass but
without my new towing eyes so I thought I might as well just post this up as is for all of you before I move
on to the remaining external details. :D

As usual guys please remove your existing folder and replace with the update as there have been numerous
alterations, most of what I forget to mention, with naming changes also as I merge meshes or chop parts off to
use elsewhere and so on so it is better to avoid issues by just using my new download.

Update of the templates has also been posted for those who might feel the urge to paint something.

Take care and be safe.

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2024, 01:41:17 PM »

Outstanding work, Thank you Pete 8).

Best Regards,
Piotrek

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2024, 02:03:31 PM »

That is a whole lot of talent... every thought of developing the Bachem Ba 349 Natter or any of the Swedish Saabs from WW2 to present?

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2024, 03:16:49 PM »

Glad you like the work so far guys, thank you very much for the kind words they are really appreciated. 8)

As for what is next UberDemon I know not, I have a head full of stuff I would like to do but ill health prevents me spending time at this sorry to say. :(

There are all kinds of interesting things to model, Sweden included, you can see that in the stuff Mike (Zflyer48) has created in his time here and what others have done so I guess there is always the possibility that eventually your choice of stuff might arrive, let us hope so.

For me, first of all is finishing the Bedford and Queen Mary, I am also trying to learn Blender as my program is by now fairly ancient and can do stuff for Il-2 but I would like to investigate what a modern 3d program can accomplish and maybe look at putting simple models in other sims/games that can be modded so if you guys are waiting for me you will most likely die of old age, I might go first, so please do not hold your breath waiting even for the Bedford. :D

A few things I would like to try for IL-2:

First of all, finish my Lysander by making making LODs for it and correcting the worst of my geometry in that model at least for the LOD0.

Secondly is maybe the civil conversions of the Lancaster and FW-200, this would not involve completely new aircraft rather be a conversion of what we have so far.

Third on the list are Miles trainers, certainly the Master of WWII but a few were developed and were used post-war by numerous air forces.

Beyond that no special plans, all sorts of things I would love to do in IL-2 be it objects or maps but unless the consultant can do something for me when/if I ever get to that visit is another thing, as of right now I can only use my arms/fingers etc. for a very short space of time unlike the old days where I could go all day, that will not happen now.

One thing I need to learn is just to keep it simple, the trucks were a build project really to explore the creation of various shapes and ideas but what I should do is concentrate on the basic model and avoid getting too involved in interior details. :o As you are aware the models for these combat air sims are extremely complex even for an old sim like our IL-2 1946 and so sadly there is no simple way to do it justice and so every model can take an age if done as per sim specifications so who knows what the future holds for my builds, I just try and get through today at the moment and if I get up tomorrow, I carry on regardless. ;)

Sorry for a very long answer but there it is.

Take care and be safe.

stanislao

• Modder
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2024, 04:56:33 AM »

:)  Don't worry, your pace of progression in the splendid work you are doing doesn't worry you in the slightest, the important thing is your health first and foremost. Being physically well is the thing that matters most in our life. So don't get tired and you will see that in the end everything will work out perfectly.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2024, 02:43:11 AM »

No worries Stanislao I keep all things within bounds I can manage, do a little at a time and carry on. ;)

The build has moved to this area, not sure what you call it but the frame thingy on the front:

I would assume it is used to recover the vehicle itself or others when they land in a ditch or something, not sure though.
You see it on all these Bedfford types but what exactly the purpose it is used for I know not as such, I thought maybe
the bar might rotate and be a part of a winch or something where a rope or chain could be pulled over the bar to help
pull things but I cannot see a winch on the photographs I have, however there might be one under the cab or on the rear
somewhere that I have not noticed yet but might find as I try and find sufficient detail images with the build.

Anyway, build it I will, could one of the truck enthusiasts please put me out my misery by describing what it does or its name.

Take care and be safe.

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2024, 01:49:54 PM »

I got a wild idea, is the front hinged so it can be opened forwards? Then it can be a support to prevent the front from touching the ground. It must depend on how the hoses for the cooling are attached  so it might be a too far flung idea!
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2024, 01:56:15 AM »

I got a wild idea, is the front hinged so it can be opened forwards? Then it can be a support to prevent the front from touching the ground. It must depend on how the hoses for the cooling are attached  so it might be a too far flung idea!

Hello Flying H, to be honest I cannot recall seeing the front hinged but I can see what you are getting at, thank you very much for the reply, really appreciated. 8)

The bonnet hinges to each side and the louvered panels at the side I have seen removed in the same way those of the Thorneycroft were, particularly in desert operations but again nothing showing the whole front hinged forward like a modern tractor unit, a DAF XF for instance, but yes it could be that everything including the mudguards all tip to give access to the engine. ;)

The engine itself is quite small but as you see in the image below is almost buried under the add on parts which I imagine would be a pain to remove to get at the engine block itself, In this instance the front has been removed completely, or not yet fitted. Those that design machines do not usually work on them, I scratch my head sometimes wondering just how they expected a mechanic to actually fix anything. :D

I will continue to search for photographs because I am really intrigued by that fixture and would like to know for certain just what its purpose is.

Take care and be safe.

stanislao

• Modder
« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2024, 06:05:53 AM »

The image suggests that it is simply a protection bar for the radiator, the small bumper probably did not guarantee the safety of the front grille.   ;)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 26 queries.