Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedford OXC and Queen Mary trailer. Second part of the recovery set build.  (Read 15622 times)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
Re: Bedford OXC and Queen Mary trailer. Second part of the recovery set build.
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2024, 07:57:24 PM »

OK, so I'll be able to drive this beauty right?  Right?
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2024, 03:06:57 AM »

OK, so I'll be able to drive this beauty right?  Right?

Hello UberDemon, I will have to pass on that one myself, but who knows, someone here at SAS might replace the jeep mod with my Bedford!

With me building it you are lucky it has got this far, it does move though sort of, best I can do.  :D :o

Originally there was no intention of this being an IL-2 project, hence it is over detailed really, but I just had to, you know, add it in as it would have been rude not to.  :angel:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.  ;D

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2024, 07:53:42 AM »

Hi Pete! :)
I hope you are healthy and all. You mentioned something about a blender course in a previous post. How did you like working in blender?

I'm currently working in Gmax out of necessity, on a Cfs3 terrain scenery project.  I found Gmax to be quite straightforward and user friendly with a tendency to crash now and again, corrupting the save file and causing me to lose hours of work, otherwise I like using it. Mapping textures is a long tedious process though, when compared to blender.
 Keep up the great work. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2024, 09:56:51 AM »

Hello Glen, hope I find you well today. ;)

Blender has proved to be quite a challenge, bear in mind I only use gmax in the most straight forward of ways from what others do and to say Blender is a whole new world would be an undersatement. :D

So far I have tried a few different things, I picked the course especially to do that so I could explore what could be done and it has been quite a journey, Just a few images:

This will be close to your heart, an island was the first:

It eventually morpohed into this via much head scratching and swearing:

Next was a bit more my thing creating objects:

This finished up like this eventually:

Next was a beastie:

The colouring had something to do with shading if I remember correctly:

I extracted the beastie and made an object for someone in the community as an attempt at trying to
map an object, I find that particulary annoying in Blender but I got it out and into game. To map it
I seemed to have to crease the dammed thing on every joint, doing an aircraft might be trouble:

This was more like it, it was part of an overall scene that eventually became a fly-through, the texturing was
very basic:

It was more about the annimation than the aircraft if you will, the prop moved as did the plane:

More moving stuff, bouncing ball, moving cube and a snake that reared up to bite:

Up next was TV man, all about bones and making it walk and swing the arms, this stuff was a
nightmare, my PC is about 10 years old so rendering anything is problematic, I have a few very
short mpegs, by short quite literally, not sure if or how I can post them:

And finally the current project was sculpting this handsome devilish character:

I am sixty now and trying this state of the art mumbo jumbo is really for them youths out there, however,
it has been both enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.

As for gmax crashing, yes I have had some of that but there is a folder you can get the save from called
'autoback', that itself can be problematical but has saved my work on occassion. 8)

I saved 20 images in total so far from Blender, hence the gallery of work, I thought I better keep a few shots
just to remind me of what I did and hopefully how. :D

I find the way you flip through screens also annoying, I set the quad for gmax and essentilly only use that but
with Blender you have to keep swatching back and forth for various processes and it gets really aggravating
because I allways mess something up while trying to figure out where I came from and where I am going, talk
about lost in space. :o

Suffice to say I will never be a master with Blender, next course I try I will most likely stick to what I am more familar
with, much of the above I will most likely never touch again which is sad in a way but I can only devote a little time
to hobbies as such.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »

Nice stuff there Pete! The problem is finding a suitable project where you can use your skills after the courses or tutorials. I think you probably have to be a good story teller and use 3d as your medium, or you have to get a job in the industry. I covered a lot of what you've done here working through 3dmax book tutorials many years ago, though you have surpassed me on blender.

I wanted to start a skit of the Braveheart movie called Bravefart, which didn't get off the ground. I created these very short animation test clips. This was done after just completing the tutorials, so everything is pretty basic.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2024, 11:14:55 AM »

I love this guy's stuff. His Youtube site is worth a visit.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2024, 12:22:37 PM »

Great stuff there Glen, I assume the aircraft video is Blender as well as your stuff and it is truly amazing how talented these guys are using Blender, I also assume that 3ds Max is equally capable but many of us I think just use specifics of these programs rather than use it all.
I think it tends to be Blender where I see most vodeos done, it is mind blowing what folks think up and make at home, I was ripping my hair out just doing the few clips I did so to try and make a movie is something else and way beyond me but you get an appreciation at least of how things are done so my tutorilas fullfilled that need. ;)

Here is a still I found from the TV man, it looks better as an image for sure as the video is just so short, however, it served its purpose, these tutors have a certain knack of getting things across to the pupils:

Sadly my PC moans and groans doing renders but it was nice to actually see them work at least. :D

For those that might be interested the course is available at the link called Complete Blender Creator: Learn 3d modelling for begginers, the tutor is Grant Abbitt:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiFlbaK5_uDAxVNQ0EAHY0RAKQQ5uQKKAB6BAgbEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.udemy.com%2Fcourse%2Fblendertutorial%2F&usg=AOvVaw2phRDWmv1exBchX3V0BGlW&opi=89978449

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you a;ll the very best, Pete.  ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2024, 11:48:20 AM »

Hello Guys, just a quick update to the question from Glen on my Blender course, I finished it. ;)

These are last images I took as the character developed, face painting:

Painted in eyes, horns and warts:

Setting up the lighting scene to hopefully show him off in the best possible light:

And a final render to bring things to a close:

Enjoyuable and frustrating in equal measure, dammed right annoying in places but certainly worth
the time put into into it, which all told was not a massive amount as such as I spent more time
going back and forward over things I messed up. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2024, 02:52:36 PM »

Hello again guys, okay, back on track, there is a further update in the first page and also one for the template. ;)

Okay, where were we?

I had stopped build of the radiator to try and polish up the vehicle outer shell and other areas and something I forgot
before I uploaded the last update was placement of markings on the cab surfaces, so the test was done:

The mudguards showed some kind of issue at the rear of them that I had not dealt with last time, I tried and failed then
but had another go. :D

Anyway, I detached the inner shell, made a clone of the outer and put things back together and via a little tweaking of
the vertices things now look okay, before and after:

Finally we are back to the radiator and more additions trying as best I could to glean from the images what was needed:

The bonnet doors I had made now got further details, in photographs there was a bar of some sort across each half
that I assume keeps it off the engine, that was added as were some catches seen on the photographs:

I created a second folder in the buildings section to add a second vehicle so I could try out the parts open to each side
and seen here in sim:

With the final brackets and fixture added that secure the radiator underneath and around its shape attention turned to
mapping what I had:

Here you see the results after painting:

A ring was added at the back as the photographs seemed to indicate there was a hole/tunnel of some sort
and without a clearer image I made this ring that I assume is protection for the fan blade, or will be once I
make it:

I realised after the above images were taken that I still needed six bolts to fix the radiator brackets to the
chassis and these were subsequently added.

Something else I had forgot was a fuel filler cap and so that was also was added to the finished radiator and can
be seen in the last images.

So then, into the sim for a look, one from the rear of the compartment and the other from the front end of the
OXC so you can now see something behind the grill mesh, the idea of making the radiator first was to do just
that and stop the see through into the engine bay:

I mentioned I added a second vehicle folder to the buildings folder and that allowed me to do a open and closed
door version as well as open the bonnet either side:

The original parts are in the folders so you can tinker with what you like as an option for those static objects
and it gives a scene that little variety but you will have to decide and make the necessary changes in the live
file, the moving vehicle stationary is as per that vehicle.

I know it is not long since an update but I like to upload something once I have built a particular area, in this case
it was the radiator that had suffered and was pushed aside so I could sort out the cab shell and with all that done
and the radiator finally finished I put up a new link. There is also a separate one for the template so you can alter
the roundels according to whatever images you might think are more appropriate until I decide on a final scheme. ;)

So, what next? I want to add the front windows and glass to those and the doors so I think that will be the start of
the next build that will allow me to finalise the doors and fix their mirrors and door handles to them to make them a
complete unit rather than the separate items used so far to test them. Following that attention will focus on trying to
complete the external details such as front winch, rear mudguards and so on, the engine bay will be last on the list once
the vehicle itself is done, that is the cunning plan at least. :o

Okay, enough for now, take care and be safe.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2024, 05:02:17 AM »

Hello Guys, just a quick update to the question from Glen on my Blender course, I finished it. ;)

Well done Pete.

You know, I understand what you do here. When I first saw this thread I thought " that's a lot of intricate work for a flight sim truck", but it really is about the creative process and not the final result.  This sort of work, researching info on the net, creating accurate components and physics requires full concentration and stops the mind from jumping around all over the place and stressing about things that cant be changed in this crazy world.

It's a bit like the buddist monks that create these beautiful patterns or mandalas out of coloured powder and on completion they destroy them. it's about being fully in the now in whatever we do. The results really don't matter, only the process. It really doesn't matter what you do with your skills, as long as it brings you peace of mind and enjoyment.

Anyway, enough zen for today. ;D

Keep up the good work Pete. 

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2024, 05:25:22 AM »

Hello Glen, I call it therapy. :D

The vehicle project started as just something for me build and was not as such intended for IL-2 but as I built I thought well why not make each little build in line with the maximum polycount allowed and so it was, some are very small, some just on the limit and some are somewhere in between but eventually get joined so the thing evolves all the time. So as I went on I both built and added it the sim slowly but surely but it is still more about trying to recreate the subject matter rather than provide a sim asset but if I can do both at the same time then why not. ;)

The difficulty with IL-2 now of this old version is you can start a plane and all of a sudden it is imported from another sim and so you never quite know what to start and with this combination I at least thought I was on safe ground with me adding it in slowly and so far no one pipped me to the post with one from another sim. :o There was a version of the Thorneycroft done as a time lapse in Blender to I think showcase hard surface moddelling but I know not if that was ever used by anyone as an actual game asset, mine I think has more detail and suits my purpose of having something to just build and a subject I like so all is good there.

I intend to do another Blender course, again from the same author, that will entail building an island with a building and vegetation but I have still to book it yet. Eventually I will do in Blender what I do in gmax but will wait until I finish the Bedford and its trailer first before starting another vehicle or aircraft and so meanwhile I will explore other parts of Blender just for the fun of it. I am limited in what I can do with pain so have to keep putting things away for another day but it gives me something different to look forward to in learning something new or a newer program and so on we go. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2024, 06:20:33 AM »

]thumright[
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 25 queries.