Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experimenting with aircraft fire  (Read 2113 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Experimenting with aircraft fire
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 12:22:14 AM »

Well, I think I've got things just about where I want 'em with aircraft fires. (And I did more work on ground object fires and explosions.) All fire hues are less cartoonishly garish in hue (with formerly uber strong reds and yellows), now looking more toned down and realistic.

For the fuel leak fire that separates from the plane, I got the animated texel to display 'out of sync', by having each instance of the 6 in train to have a different rotation. And I've incorporated an alpha channel texture that has more variety in density. These together give the whole fire some variation in appearance along its length. (Previously all 6 instances had the same rotational orientation, making each look like exact clones.)

In the process I've dscovered an interesting thing about effects using animated texels. The Size parameter in the .mat file, if having two different values for the start and end, does not cause the texel to alter in size over its lifetime. Instead, it appears that the average of the two values is applied to a fixed-size representation. For example, if we set

Size 5 15

The texel will have a fixed size of 10m.

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Andy H

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 04:37:31 AM »

Looking good - so glad you've found a way to overcome those...er, uniform balls.  :)

Atoka220

• Bomber
  • Modder
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 11:36:09 AM »

I'm here to drop the nuke

I think the more saturated reddish-orange flames look better like the ones in the opening post ;D
There are 2 certain things in life: Death and CTDs

shardana

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 12:02:27 PM »

Looking forward for a video in your channel

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »

I think the more saturated reddish-orange flames look better like the ones in the opening post ;D

I can understand. After all, that's what I myself set up for myself. In part because it's been the 'norm' since forever.  ;) Not all have been toned down to the same degree (such as oil fires), but overall the boldly pure primary colors are largely gone.

All the old textures will still be present, and so one could choose to use those I the relevant .mat files. Anyway, I'll look at providing the alternative 'colorful' versions the user can select from...
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »

I can understand. After all, that's what I myself set up for myself. In part because it's been the 'norm' since forever.  ;) Not all have been toned down to the same degree (such as oil fires), but overall the boldly pure primary colors are largely gone.

All the old textures will still be present, and so one could choose to use those I the relevant .mat files. Anyway, I'll look at providing the alternative 'colorful' versions the user can select from...

Having customizable options is always the ways to go.  I support that fully.

Thank you for excellent mods and we are looking forward to the next version of your effect mods.

Cheers!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »

I've been tweaking the color some more, getting back to making the red component a bit stronger that the last round of adjustments. Here are a few screen grabs of a poor Zero during its demise. I'm on the verge of calling things done well enough for the time being. I've gotta call a halt at some point, or v1.4 will never get released.

shardana

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »

This Is perfection!!!

baggo

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »

that looks spot on that does Glen, kev.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.