Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 11 rollout: Is anyone using older Il-2 on it?  (Read 2464 times)

Plowshare

• Modder
Windows 11 rollout: Is anyone using older Il-2 on it?
« on: February 02, 2022, 07:16:18 AM »

Hi all:

I'm being offered Windows 11 Pro as the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and I don't know if this old game will run it. I'm currently only running DBW so I'd like to know if that will run on the new OS.

I've tried Googling "Windows 11 Il-2" and I just checked here for "Windows 11" and haven't found anything yet.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Bob

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Windows 11 rollout: Is anyone using older Il-2 on it?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 08:28:40 AM »

Plowshare;
Win10 is still supported for now and I'm sure there'll be initial bugs in Win11 for older (and new) stuff so my advice is to carry on with Windows 10 for now (i.e. if it ain't broke, don't fix it).  I'll be staying on Windows 10 until there's no choice but to switch over.  Hopefully by that time any issues with older/existing software are identified and will have workarounds/patches etc if possible.
cheers,
Tomoose

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »

Hello Plowshare,

You've been an experienced member here at SAS for a long time. Save your current DBW and try windows 11.

Who will test first will report here, maybe you? I'm sure since Windows 98 (SE) no new version of Windows has ever prevented any version of IL-2 from starting!

Best regards

]cheers[

Gerhard
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

Matz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 08:48:08 AM »

Tested BAT (all four modules) and my own clumsy mod-poch (crude but smaller Red Core-ish) in Windows 11

Using my son's "old" gaming laptop - MSI GL72M: Core i5 7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 8Gb DDR4 RAM, GTX1050Ti
Upgrade to 11 was done using by bypassing the CPU check as a Core i5 7th Gen is NOT supported !!!!  Instructions are easily searchable and if you can edit a conf file you can do the edits required for this.

The usual setup - kept install well away from system folders

All works perfectly - performance / graphics / load times.
Very strange to say MS haven't muffed it up  ;D

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 11:58:32 AM »

Matz;
thanks for that info.  Does this mean there's a workaround for that B.S. message from MS saying "your machine meet the requirements...."  It's got something to do with the BIOS but not sure.

cheers,
tomoose

Matz

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 03:13:28 PM »

Hi Tomoose,
Absolutely possible. CPU and TPM for sure.
Will have to check the other areas and can post the bypass details. What area does your system not "comply?
Cheers
Matz

Matz

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 05:13:55 PM »

OK - not so good news. I tried getting my desktop PC "upgraded" to Win 11 and have yet to succeed.

My rig : ASRock 970 m/b, AMD FX-8370 8 core 4Ghx processor, 32Gb of DDR3 RAM, GTX1060 3Gb GPU running Win10 Pro 64bit, 240Gb SSD (mainly for O/S), and two 1Tb drives for the stuff that takes space. Not exactly state of the art but I enjoy building and maintaining my kit where funds (and the Boss) allow.

Got the prep done:  PC fully updated and backed up. Separate copy of essential drivers and programs (just in case) Coffee on, no distractions.

The Microsoft PC Health Check flagged: Unsupported CPU, no secure boot, and no Trusted Platform Module.

ASRock didn't build in TPM on the main board, but secure boot is available in BIOS. The processor thing is weird as there are Athlon CPU's supported that I am sure are older than my FX.
Anyway - there are work-around's for these on the net - an edit of the registry to get the installer to ignore the issues.
Did all of the entries and re-created a bootable usb but the installer still sees the problem areas and stops dead in the water. I am guessing the AMD processor or the BIOS setup is the problem.

More research required for this rig.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 12:48:14 AM »

there are work-around's for these on the net - an edit of the registry to get the installer to ignore the issues.
Did all of the entries and re-created a bootable usb but the installer still sees the problem areas and stops dead in the water
Sounds like you did the registry changes on the old (Windows 10) machine.
That's not the way to go.
What you need to do is to wait for the installer to see the issues, click the "back" button (or "cancel" if there ain't any "back" button), then press Shift+F10 to get a command prompt and then enter "regedit" to kick up your registry editor within the installer itself.
Apply the changes/workarounds as you did before, close the Registry editor and the command prompt and proceed.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Matz

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 03:48:35 PM »

Update - as usual, Mike was right (was there ever a doubt?) and re-running as per the instructions, rather than Matz interpretation of said instructions and I now have....

So, Windows 11 on an "unsupported" CPU, no TPM chip mainboard and no secure boot setup. Take that M-Soft !  Just bit of tweaking to get it looking more familiar and all will be good (said with absolute faith!)

For reference I used the guidance found here (hope this is ok with Admins - no signup required)
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

Other than my controller assignments being all swapped around (pedals/stick/throttle etc) all looks good in my mulch-pack and BAT Red Core

Hope this helps, ladies and gents

Matz tuppence complete

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 06:19:19 AM »

I'll be in the same boat at some point but plan to stay on 10 as long as possible.

Just out of curiousity why is MS forcing those particular restrictions in the first place?  I'm sure the hardware companies will love this as lots of people will no doubt by newer hardware just to install Win 11.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »

I'll be in the same boat at some point but plan to stay on 10 as long as possible.

Just out of curiousity why is MS forcing those particular restrictions in the first place?  I'm sure the hardware companies will love this as lots of people will no doubt by newer hardware just to install Win 11.

I fly Il-2 on a dedicated win10 machine and also see no reason at all to switch over.

And my main computer, the one I use for everything except Il-2 (though it works perfectly fine on it as well) runs on win 8.1 and I have no complaints. It is actually win10 that pisses me off because of all diminished control and functionality and the way that MS seems to delight in changing things and access around just for the fun of changing, not out of any real need.

Matz

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 08:54:42 AM »

Totally agree with Agracier and Tomoose - I still use an antique laptop on Win 7 for "office work"  and all my cadet PC's run "7" too as it does the job. Had other reasons to attempt the shift to 11 on the desktop and other than a couple of niggles (after getting the bypasses to work) all seems good.
Just hope that my piece here helps someone else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.