Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airships in the Pacific: Straight Down - from an airship!  (Read 1906 times)

Vampire_pilot

Airships in the Pacific: Straight Down - from an airship!
« on: March 20, 2022, 03:21:35 AM »

ZRCVs at war in the Pacific
1939 - 1945

ZRCV hook-on campaign, following the Pacific War from Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay
What could have been if the carrier airships had been followed up...

59 missions
Made for BAT 4.2.1 - WAW module

Does the title ring a bell?  More than ten years ago "Zeus-Cat", a master campaign maker and story teller made a series of "Straight Down...." campaigns for the stock games. These were divebomber campaigns for the SBD and some of his missions were repurposed for this campaign here.

This is a tip to the hat for one of the best, who always understood to tell a good tale along the missions!

You will be flying training missions, recon, recovery, bombing and strafing missions all over the Pacific. You start out in the almost obsolete BT-1 and move on to SBD and later to FM Wildcats as the action gets more intense. I also integrated the Tokyo Raid of 1942 from my single missions into this campaign.

The historical background and timeline for the battles is real, but of course there never were large rigid Navy airships in WW2... However, the Lighter Than Air units with blimps played an important part hunting for submarines and keeping convoys safe.

Towards the end in 1945 there may be two or three missions missing, but I can't finish any more in the foreseeable future. So I decided to hand you this campaign as it is. You can fill that gap with your own imagination.

Enjoy the unusual perspective from the bottom of a big rigid.

About the mission design:

This is made to be a "flyer" campaign.

Some missions will *not* work by simply hitting autopilot. A game limitation is, when only one plane is in your docked player flight, there are no waypoints visible, only those of the mothership. Autopilot will use these and will not perform the mission.

I used triggers a lot, and sometimes, messages or events only play out as intended, when you do the mission task right.

-Start at HIGHEST RANK
-You should switch "No Instant Success" to OFF to always be able to continue.
-You will be asked to navigate, so familiarize yourself with a compass and a watch and YE "hayrake" beacon navigation.
Information can be found here:
https://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&file=print&kid=704&page=1

D/L:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2z4uat2cqzvl9r/ZRCV-WW2.zip/file

enjoy and take care :)

Ta183Huckebein

• FAC #17
  • Modder
  • aka "Raven"
Re: Airships in the Pacific: Straight Down - from an airship!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 05:43:47 AM »

Awesome! I've been looking forward to this one, thank you very much for sharing it!

Yaro59

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 12:03:12 PM »

Thank you Vampir for your good work
I struggled for a few hours until my head crackled.( Not this age and not this health).
You have done beautifully.

Sharkzz

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 12:00:56 AM »

:o :o :o :o :o
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !
too many thank you's
you legend ole m8.
Sharkzz
can't wait to load it.
New Right Arm Amputee, One armed flyer and Longboard surfer, I now swim and paddle in circles .

Ta183Huckebein

• FAC #17
  • Modder
  • aka "Raven"
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 07:40:11 PM »

Sorry to necro a thread, but I want to come back to give this an additional recommendation (along with all of vampire_pilot's ZRS/ZRCV stuff in general), now that I've finally finished the last missions of this campaign (work is a sonofagun).

I will levy one small criticism though: On those last missions, the aircraft that the player is clearly meant to fly is not the one that the player is assigned by default. It's an easy enough fix in the FMB, but it is something to keep in mind
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.