Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Edlor - de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter  (Read 7410 times)

Hubberranz

• Modder

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Edlor - de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2024, 12:55:20 PM »

We are getting there Hubberranz you will be happy to know but not without a few difficulties. ;)

If you look at the starboard side of the cockpit in the previous image you will see part of the window has a strut in yellow, I had not noticed this before as in gmax it cannot be seen so this morning was spent tormenting myself as to what the hell was causing it. I looked at the CF_D0 and noticed there was a piece missing, or at least at that moment I thought so and duly repaired it but when I added the CF_D0 back into the game still the yellow strut was showing. o_O Turns out that the offending faces were on the Cockpit mesh and so I removed those faces and so all was good, eventually. :D
That ruined a morning that was supposed to be used adding the control surfaces and so that was begun a while ago only to hit another snag. ::( When I looked at one of the flaps the pattern was slightly out as it consists of two parts over one another and so another correction was needed and the mapping done again for the top part, anyway, I have had enough for now, I give up, and I am going to watch football. :D

I will return to this madness tomorrow, who said this stuff was fun wants their head reading. :P

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2024, 02:43:41 PM »

Hello again guys, just a quick update. ;)

The wings and fuselage seem to okay as far as codes go, I tried all the main surfaces upper
and lower and as long as you take account of how I ended up separating various surfaces you
should be okay:

All the essential elements are done and in place for both aircraft:

For the seaplane there is an issue with the gear as you can see by the yellow colouring, not sure how to do this
at the moment but it might be the simplest way is to cut off the piece and attach in the hier separately as there
is no room to actually map the floats:

I spent parts of the day rectifying things, one of the ailerons needed to have the map flipped and a few faces
were detached due to some nasty looking areas and so as of now here we are.

I might still map the props but other than that I guess it is done, other issues are the damage model. This was built
over another aircraft, most of it does not have the co-commons to even activate the damage textures and what was
there that would work used other parts and so I just have the D1 through 3 of the main parts now using the actual
Otter meshes. So then, to do still is the prop maps and to make a decision on whether I at least do the co-commons
for the meshes, the CAPs also use things from the previous aircraft this was built over so we are talking the entire
damage model really needs doing but I don't feel up to it, been down too many rabbit holes previously to want to go
there, no LODs either but at least you can now paint it. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2024, 07:16:20 AM »

Hello again guys, last details of the mapping. ;)

As I said I might map the propellers as well and so it was:

The finished item:

Both sides of the blades were done so you should be able to portray any existing propeller colours:

The texture for the rotating prop now uses a standard texture from the sim so it covers any you might paint
but for those who like the existing funky pattern I have added a layer onto the template of that copied from
the original so you can paint most versions you might have seen. The downside is if you want that rotating of
the original mesh active with your prop you will have to rename the texture it picks up from. This was the only
way to do this really and be able to add different schemes for the blades and spinner.

And finally, the template main parts all set out, not the best I will admit and no room for the floats but it is
better than nothing, this is only the second full aircraft, the Lysander the first,  I have mapped overall and
it has provide a few headaches. :D

I wanted to align the wings and things such as flaps and ailerons in a way that they were all in line, however,
this had to be altered as I ran into various problems aligning stuff so sadly it is a little broken up as I had to
change my original placing of the maps. :(

The rear of the cargo door is now a separate mesh and uses a plain grey texture so we do not have the see-through
I mentioned earlier if you look into the passenger cabin, quite a few have things had to be mapped twice to deal with
certain issues hence why it took until now to post this progress up.

There are no lines or rivets yet as the above was really just to get everything in order so I guess next up is making
those lines and stuff to complete the work, anyone want to make the template?

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2024, 06:57:08 AM »

Hello guys, the mapping is now done. ;)

The next decision is do I make a template or release what there is as it is at the moment and let others do the skin work. :-|

While I think about that I doodled a little in gmax:

Bizarrely there is not an actual control column inside the Otter model! That is really strange as those things
are usually installed as they can be seen externally, for the column in the cockpit Alex had to use two from
the A-20 I think with one positioned the opposite way around to make what you see at the moment but I am trying
to make something that looks a little closer to the real thing for use in the external model and cockpit.

The above is my final design, there are various versions of the theme and so I picked the photograph as the
main base for what I have made using other images to gain information on other parts of the column design.

Now I need to map and paint.

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2024, 04:09:31 AM »

Hello again guys, just a quick update. ;)

The main items have now been mapped and just need colouring but I decided to actually try and add
the other components so here they are so far:

Hopefully once finished and painted it will look something like. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2024, 02:41:46 PM »

Hello guys, I sent a new update to Alex to take a look at. ;)

There is now a control column complete and mapped and painted:

This has been added in the plane folders so it can be seen in the external view where there was none before:

And finally, the working parts in the player cockpit:

The damage model still remains untouched and there is not a full template only my test version to check were
colours and other things were, right now I do not have the will to do anything further as I need to get back to other stuff
that has been neglected for far too long so hopefully others can step in to add what is still required. ;)

Take care and be safe.

KingTiger503

• Legendary History Luftwaffe Elite Ace ,,,
  • Supporter
  • KT503 Elite
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2024, 06:00:13 AM »

Nice Job Mission_Bug and Bison-M... Well done.

Best Regards KT503
My Greatest and Best Regards KT503

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2024, 03:22:02 PM »

Nice Job Mission_Bug and Bison-M... Well done.

Best Regards KT503

Glad you like it so far KT. 8)

I passed things on to my quality controller, Alex, he found some issues that needed fixing so I spent this evening trying to sort those out and will pass them on to him. :(
He may have other things he wants to correct but power outages are hindering things for him at the moment and so delaying a new upload as we pass things between us. ::(

When you do a project, you become fixated on certain elements of it so it is always good to pass it on to someone else to get a second opinion, I am sure once we upload it there will be many more issues spotted. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2024, 03:54:55 AM »

Hello guys, well here it is finally an Otter you can skin. ;)

It has been quite a while in development and has gone through various transitions and through the hands of various modders
but here at last a version to put skins on in the normal IL-2 way:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9vvirjxb4m6w6w0/DH+Otter+skinable+RC+16th+June+2024.7z/file

Please backup any version you already have as you might want to go back to that earlier iteration if the skinnable does not
appeal to you.

The basic templates and the stationary files are in the download, please check the readme in the mod for credits of stuff used
and full description of alterations.

The model is far from perfect but hopefully useable to you all, there is not a template as such available only the test version
I used to evaluate were to put certain colours and test lettering, nothing more, it does not have lines and rivets etc and was
merely a guide for me as I went along the skinning route so is basic. If I don't eventually make a full template, I am sure you
will find a way to colour it yourself.

One issue I cannot improve on is the shading on the upper wings so sadly you are stuck with it for now
unless someone can improve it or advise me how best to improve it:

I made another attempt this morning but just made things worse. :( ::( I have tried shading and moving stuff
all to no avail so sadly it is as it is unless someone can improve it themselves in a 3d program. This model now
has been through various hands as it has been adapted for IL-2 and each time it has been imported into a 3d
program there will have been some form of errors made to the original model.

Anyway, here it is for you to play with, use and poke fun at if you wish but I have done as much as I can and
so, it is time to go back to my other projects.

Thanks to Alex for his help and criticism of what I was able to do, really appreciated. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2024, 04:51:28 AM »

Thanks for the hard work you've put in it to make a great mod yet more greater!

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2024, 05:42:26 AM »

Don't worry if it is not perfect it is really much better now thank you   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.