Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kunai grass WIP  (Read 6397 times)

Vampire_pilot

Re: Kunai grass WIP
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 04:28:26 AM »

Definitely very nice!
This object can surely be found in the next BAT.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 08:43:19 AM »

I tested this new Kunai Grass mod on the Ambon to Timor missions and I must say it looks great around the airfields!
Download for the mission pack is here (with a screenshot):  https://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=3084

genXgamer

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 01:49:47 PM »

Hi WxTech

At some future time would it be possible to create a smaller version for finessing between and around revetments and taxiways?

Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 03:15:31 PM »

Shane,
Provided the mesh is very highly structured as regards the material mapping, and I'm confident it is, then my spreadsheet approach should make for a fairly easy task.

Does 1/4 the current diameter seem good? That would be 1/16 the area. Or does 1/3 diameter, for 1/9 the area, seem better?

That's pretty considerable coverage you've laid out in that screenshot. How's the frame rate?

Glenn
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

genXgamer

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 04:12:36 PM »

G'day mate

Sorry for late reply, had to wait for morning break.
My initial thoughts was a 1/4 sized one, however I will never complain about having multiple options.

The coverage shown in the screenshot is probably only half.
At this stage I've only ran the mission in auto-pilot to get timings right, I'll test it tonight.
I never worry about actual frame rate numbers preferring to go by eye instead.

MADMICK71

• FACTIS NON VERBIS
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 05:34:21 PM »

Good Job! great addition for pacific ops.

Thank You.
FACTIS NON VERBIS

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2022, 06:23:07 PM »

I just cooked up a 1/4 size grass patch. But the matter of carsmaster's original rather random surface normals finally pushed me to fix them. In his original grass object, the low height of the grass, combined with the enormous length-to-height-ratio of each grass strip, did not result in the often wildly varying surface normals for the 4 corners of a face to stand out. But here, with the grass being VERY much taller with respect to the strip length, the horrible 'flipping' of surface normals causes pronounced diagonal discontinuities in the lighting along many of the faces.

For a single grass strip face, comprising 4 corners, each corner could all have wildly different normals pointing all over the place.

I took a more structured approach, and the result is seen below with this new smaller object. Old on the left, new on the right. Accomplished with the Poor Man's 3D Modeling PackageTM, that being a spreadsheet and Notepad.

I'll be doing the same for the existing larger grass patch, obviously.  ;)

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

genXgamer

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »

Looking good, very good!

I was pretty damn happy with my current airfield's appearance in combination with using suitable underlining map textures.
Mount 1 plus a couple of others on the Green Hell map .

Can't wait to try what appears to be a vast improvement.

genXgamer

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 11:33:29 PM »

G'day Glenn

In regards to frame rate, no noticeable change.
And I've covered a VERY large area.
Got to say from the ground taxiing to flying above the airstrip it looks stunning to my eyes.
I do think map textures play a part as well.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »

Just about ready to release. Here's my little diorama, with the larger 'main' patches surrounded by some of the smaller ones to clean up and fill in the raggedy edges of the larger object. The way the object is built, there is a thinness in density toward the periphery, with a number of relatively isolated linear strips extending away from the main mass. These new 1/4-size patches, with their inherently higher peripheral density (even though the number of individual strips is 1/4 the number of the larger object and hence central density is similar), nicely fill in these areas of thin coverage. This should meet the needs of more intricate coverage around airstrips and such.

The new surface normals, by ridding of those number setting -Z (!) values that actually made the grass a bit brighter in the dark of night than it should, result in a better appearance tone wise in twilight and at night.

I've also boosted the opacity of the partially transparent, underlying ground texture.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 09:51:20 AM »

Nov 10, 2022: Updated mod released; go to the top post.

Adds a second, 1/4 size object to fill in smaller areas. Has fixed surface normals. Has a somewhat higher ground texture opacity.

genXgamer

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 02:41:36 PM »

Thanks Glenn

Appreciate you creating this new object for me (and others).
I will implement into my airfield later today.

Hopefully it's not too late to be incorporated into the upcoming B.A.T. update, but doesn't really matter either way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 26 queries.