Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kunai grass WIP  (Read 6395 times)

stanislao

• Modder
Re: Kunai grass WIP
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 03:48:36 AM »

;D   OK WxTech !  I really like your version 
of flower bed with tall grass with the two diameter extension options !  I have a small request, it would be interesting to have the same option but with much lower grass and a darker green and maybe with an autumn version with dry grass... you know for a diorama fanatic like me it would be a nice gift....   ;)

genXgamer

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 02:02:33 PM »

Hi WxTech

This is something I can rectify myself, but thought I would bring to your attention.

The difference between the LODs in the current update is jarring, it goes from golden yellow colour to green.
Flying above airfield it is a very unappealing green.
You can also see on the current version that the gaps between the clusters stands out more.
The previous version was far more harmonious with the LODs blending in much better.

Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 02:31:46 PM »

Between which LODs? There are five. The farthest is only the underlying ground level patch. The first two can be hard to differentiate, although the transition between them occurs at a pretty close distance, where a patch is about filling the screen. The other LOD transitions are easy enough to discern.

Anyway, I've not seen any notable difference between the LOD transitions between the previous version and this latest. Could this involve the color and tone of the landscape tile, I wonder, as I do use transparency.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »

Well, I went back to the drawing board, so to speak, and tried the grass on a wider variety of underlying terrain textures. Turns out that my original, lower opacities for the ground level texture are better. And I lightened up that ground level texture and gave it a color much more like that of the grass texture. This makes for better similarity through all LOD transitions.

Download (yet!) again from the link in the top post.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

genXgamer

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 07:03:18 PM »

Hey mate

Thanks!

I was going to chase up more info when I got home, but it looks like you've already addressed the problem.
I'll download the latest version (yet!) again and test tonight.

Update:

All good on the Western Front.

Looks fantastic, this mod is done!

stanislao

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »

:)    Here's what I meant by the yellowed grass option for the autumn / winter collection .....   ;)

genXgamer

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2022, 02:02:09 PM »

Looks good stanislao

I posted a similar colour in reply #1
This option would be great for the Darwin map.

I might whip up one to place around Strauss and Livingston airfields.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2022, 04:16:42 PM »

I'm looking at making up an approximately 1m tall grass, and will offer different color/tone versions.

For this existing ~2m tall kunai grass, I suppose a 'dry' version would be good. It might be as simple as creating a new set of .mat files with suitable RGB values for the ColorScale data. To be sure, if the number of textures can be kept small that would be ideal. But if another color variation must be made lighter in tone, it would be necessary to make up new textures.

genXgamer

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2022, 05:25:04 PM »

Different times a year.

stanislao

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2022, 05:01:53 AM »

:) For what it's worth in my opinion, I would play more on three basic shades, a light green, a rather dark green and a 'dry grass' brown, with a wide-area version and a narrow-diameter one for the small side inserts. This would allow for a very wide colour variation, simply by mixing the three options.
 Of course it would also be nice to have a continuous swathe of grass tufts at the sides of the track, along the lines of Ranwers' mod, but with more closely spaced tufts.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2022, 06:28:22 PM »

UPDATE, Nov 20, 2022: Now 12 objects in total; 6X 2m tall Kunai grass and 6X 1m tall grass, both in green, yellow and brown.

Same d/l link in top post.

genXgamer

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »

Thanks Glenn

It will be interesting to include the 1 metre Kunai grass around my airfield, it should look great to have a bit of variation in height and possibly a different colour here and there to indicate dead grass.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 26 queries.