Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: japanese aircraft depth charges  (Read 1319 times)

Dandolo513

• Modder
japanese aircraft depth charges
« on: January 11, 2023, 10:35:29 AM »

Hallo Gents,
to complete weapons loadout for Nankai and Lorna, i need to find japanese depth charges.
I have searched on this and other sites but with no result.
Have  someone  news about this weapon?
Many thanks.

Dandolo513

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
Re: japanese aircraft depth charges
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 10:56:31 AM »

I never found this kind of bomb for the Japanese.
And I didn't find anything in the "DreamK" packs for this kind.
I wonder if they ever owned any!  :-X   8)
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

Dandolo513

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 11:12:35 AM »

Well.
So it have to be created. I suppose the japanese depth charges could be a useful addition for all IJN planes.

But,iIf i should realize the mod, i mean the structure of a depth charges, what it is would need  to create  in addition for  to have the simulation of its behaviour ?

Best regards
Dandolo513

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 11:21:05 AM »

Very useful, I think!

You will have to create both Java Classes.
Take example on the existing US ones !
Standard class :
BombMk53Charge
BombGunMk53Charge

Fuller class :
BombDeepCharge450lb
BombGunDeepCharge450lb
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

ben_wh

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 11:21:42 AM »

Dandolo513,

May I suggest checking with DreamK?  Even if DreamK does not have some 'prototypes' ready in the lab, the research done and experiences from making depth charge mods for other nations may save you some time.

Cheers,

Dreamk

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 11:29:48 AM »

In fact there was no real dedicated Japanese anti-submarine bomb or air-dropped depth charge. Both Army and Navy used for this task various models of the 60kg bomb (with different designations of the same model for the Navy and the Army!), with regular impact fuzes (instant or delay). The regular 100kg bomb was also sometimes used in AS role.

There was no hydrostatic activated fuze, implying that attacks were only against submarines in surface.

However one must keep in mind the fate of the Dutch K-VII submarine:  At the announcement of the air raid on Soerabaja harbour, she submerged to protect herself from the bombs. This didn't work: bombs that missed the ships targeted found their way to the submarine - the  contact with water had not been enough to activate their fuses, the  contact with the sub did the job and provoked the explosion.

So you can use any existing 60kg bomb on your new planes. I'll try to make some new meshes of the various models of bombs used against submarines (including the rare dedicated 300kg AS bomb) but it will take some time as I am rather busy presently.

Dandolo513

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »

First of all , thanks for your replay Gents.

As you know i am a beginner with mods and Java is out of my skills( i would like to learn but...is not esay to find a teacher around my town).

I have made some searches on the web and i have found an interesting site. On it i have read these :
===================================================

"The Japanese also developed air-deliverable depth bombs. The Navy Type 99 Model 6 Mark 2 was a 132 lb (60 kg) weapon with a kill radius of about 12 feet (4 m). It was the usual weapon carried by aircraft on routine patrol. The Type 1 Model 25 Mark 2 was 551 lb (250 kg) weapon with a kill radius of about 33 feet (10 m) that was normally loaded only when a target was already located by surface ships or another aircraft. There was also a experimental Type 19 Model 25 Mark 2 of 398 lbs (180 kg) weight and with a kill radius of 25 feet (8 m), which was intended for the Q1W "Lorna" and other aircraft with magnetic anomaly detectors. All of these depth bombs used timed fuses corresponding to various estimated depth settings. The Type 15 fuse could set for any depth up to 50 feet (15m), though the selection had to be made when the bomb was loaded on the aircraft. Other fuses were preset for 80, 150, or 300 feet (26, 46, or 91m). The last corresponded to a time delay of 17 seconds"

===========================================================================

So ,in addition to Dreamk good news, 
"There was also a experimental Type 19 Model 25 Mark 2 of 398 lbs (180 kg) weight and with a kill radius of 25 feet (8 m), which was intended for the Q1W "Lorna" and other aircraft with magnetic anomaly detectors"

It could be possible to realize this kind of depth charge and i will be pleased to do it ... but i need an help with java.

Meantime i will follow Dreamk suggestion.

Actually the Nankai Q3W1 has this loadout.

Many thanks to You all Gents and best regards

Dandolo513

Dreamk

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 12:43:27 PM »

The USN war damage report No58 from 1945 gives the following:
Three sizes of aerial depth bombs were developed by the Japanese Navy specifically for anti-submarine work and were used for this purpose by both Army and Navy aircraft.
These were designated by the Navy as Mark 2 bombs and by the Army as Type 4 bombs.
They were sometimes fitted with anti-ricochet nose rings and had considerably higher explosive-loading factors than ordinary general purpose bombs. The smallest of the three was a 60 Kg. bomb, designated by the Navy as the Type 99, No. 6, Mk. 2, Mods. 0 and 1, and was loaded with 85 pounds of Type 98 explosive. These small bombs were carried primarily by planes on routine anti-submarine patrol and were considered to have a lethal range of 12 to 15 feet.
The second was a 180 Kg. bomb designated as the Experimental 19, No. 25, Mk. 2, loaded with 308 pounds of Type 98 explosive. This bomb was developed primarily for use in conjunction with planes equipped with magnetic airborne detectors and was considered to have a lethal range of about 25 feet.
The third and largest was a 300Kg. (in the original report it was designated as 250kg , then corrected to 300kg) bomb designated as the Type 1, No. 25, Mk. 2, Model 1, Mods. 0 and 1, and was filled with 317 pounds of Type 98 explosive. This 300 Kg. bomb was considered to have a lethal range of about 33 feet and was generally only loaded on aircraft when a definite contact had been established by other planes or surface craft.

All three of the above Mark 2 depth bombs carried time rather than hydrostatic fuzes, and depth settings could only be varied by changing the fuze gaines prior to loading the bombs on aircraft.
Four different fuze gaines with different time delays were used for anti-submarine work, each of which could be used with all standard Navy bomb fuzes, which in turn would fit any of the three Mark 2 bombs.
The first gaine, the only variable setting design adopted by the Japanese, was designated as the Type 15 and could be set for detonation at any desired delay between 0 and 1.5 second after striking the surface of the water, equivalent to between 0 and about 50 foot depth.
The desired setting had to be selected prior to insertion of the gaine in the bomb fuze.
Although the Type 15 gaine was not developed specifically for anti-submarine bombs, it is known to have been used extensively for the purpose of attacking surfaced or submerging submarines.
Each of the other three fuze gaines had a pre-fixed time delay and all three were designated as the Type 1, Mark 2 design.
The Model 5 was set for detonation after 3.5 second delay, about 80 foot depth;
the Model 1A after 6 seconds delay, about 150 foot depth;
and the Model 1B after 17 seconds delay, about 300 foot depth.
The Japanese referred to bombs fitted with the Models 5 and 1A gaines as "25 meter" and "45 meter" bombs and these were the types generally carried, although the gaines were naturally varied to suit the expected conditions.

When anti-submarine Mark 2 Navy bombs were not available, the Japanese substituted common types of 60 Kg. and 250 Kg. Navy GP bombs or Army 50 Kg., 100 Kg., and 250 Kg., Type 3 bombs.
Army aircraft frequently carried a mixed load of their own Type 3 bombs along with Navy Mark 2 bombs, the Type 3 bombs being fuzed instantaneously, with short delays, or with a nose plug and a special 3.5 second delay tail fuze.

The experimental 180kg remained an experiment and apparently was not used in service. Here's a drawing of this bomb:

Davejo33

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 02:50:18 PM »

I found this on line but couldn't find a photo or drawing:

"The Japanese also developed air-deliverable depth bombs. The Navy Type 99 Model 6 Mark 2 was a 132 lb (60 kg) weapon with a kill radius of about 12 feet (4 m). It was the usual weapon carried by aircraft on routine patrol. The Type 1 Model 25 Mark 2 was 551 lb (250 kg) weapon with a kill radius of about 33 feet (10 m) that was normally loaded only when a target was already located by surface ships or another aircraft. There was also a experimental Type 19 Model 25 Mark 2 of 398 lbs (180 kg) weight and with a kill radius of 25 feet (8 m), which was intended for the Q1W "Lorna" and other aircraft with magnetic anomaly detectors. All of these depth bombs used timed fuses corresponding to various estimated depth settings. The Type 15 fuse could set for any depth up to 50 feet (15m), though the selection had to be made when the bomb was loaded on the aircraft. Other fuses were preset for 80, 150, or 300 feet (26, 46, or 91m). The last corresponded to a time delay of 17 seconds."

ben_wh

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 04:34:28 PM »

Thank you, DreamK (and Davejo33).

Somehow I suspected that there will be some informed answers in this forum.  Thanks again.

Cheers,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.