Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IL-2 1946 RRR project (Reclamation, Restoration, Reindexification)  (Read 3104 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: IL-2 1946 RRR project (Reclamation, Restoration, Reindex)
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2024, 09:58:18 AM »

Because you'd share owner access of the account.
Anyone could simply take it from you. At any given time.

For comparison, I have once share user access to the SAS/FAC Gameserver with you, but never Admin access.
When Piet was alive, it was the two of us who shared owner access to this forum.
Now that Piet is dead, I share owner access with one single person (Glynn aka SAS~GJE52) whom I know personally, IRL, physically. If either of us would decide to go apeshit and destroy the forum, we'd mutually pay each other a visit and burn down the other's house.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2024, 10:19:58 AM »

Just got back from a work-related trip and saw this.  I am following this with great interest.  I am with Mike on the account access though.  I think that Admin access would have to be selected.  People have philosophical differences.  It would make sense to have a few trusted agents who are committed to the original intent.  The users can contribute and provide opinions/feedback as necessary.

This is itself my own opinion, but if you want a tight running ship, unfortunately you have to set boundaries.  I'll shut up now.

Whatever I have I'd gladly donate.

It is a shame that Eastern Thunder, Operation Barbarossa, The Last Days, Osteroy, Battle Over Europe are bound by commercial limitations as those are also part of the legacy/heritage of IL-2.  I had fun with them.
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

sercrets

• Missioneer
    • Discord:
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2024, 10:22:32 AM »

Because you'd share owner access of the account.
Anyone could simply take it from you. At any given time.

For comparison, I have once share user access to the SAS/FAC Gameserver with you, but never Admin access.
When Piet was alive, it was the two of us who shared owner access to this forum.
Now that Piet is dead, I share owner access with one single person (Glynn aka SAS~GJE52) whom I know personally, IRL, physically. If either of us would decide to go apeshit and destroy the forum, we'd mutually pay each other a visit and burn down the other's house.

]cheers[
Mike

Mm fair enough. I’ll look into it then. At the moment google drive seems reasonable as it allows you to collaborate without any additional pricing… That file limit is less than ideal however. 

sercrets.
Just got back from a work-related trip and saw this.  I am following this with great interest.  I am with Mike on the account access though.  I think that Admin access would have to be selected.  People have philosophical differences.  It would make sense to have a few trusted agents who are committed to the original intent.  The users can contribute and provide opinions/feedback as necessary.

This is itself my own opinion, but if you want a tight running ship, unfortunately you have to set boundaries.  I'll shut up now.

Whatever I have I'd gladly donate.

It is a shame that Eastern Thunder, Operation Barbarossa, The Last Days, Osteroy, Battle Over Europe are bound by commercial limitations as those are also part of the legacy/heritage of IL-2.  I had fun with them.

Fair enough. Yes it’s a shame paid modules exist/are rare enough to be desired but also still common enough to worry about copyright.

cheers

sercrets
You get what you give.

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2024, 11:06:39 AM »

we'd mutually pay each other a visit and burn down the other's house down ........   :D  :D

To be fair, Mike is the "tech savvy" part of the team. My job is to pick up any pieces if he rides his bike under a bus... (God forbid) :o

To be serious though, the amount of user generated "additional content" for IL2 is quite frankly enormous. Not all of it is compatible ... not all of it is of acceptable quality. There are also different iterations of IL2 itself ... not to mention the "Team Dead-loss" factor...

A lot of work went into the creation of the BAT packs to address some these issues. I would suggest that, ( if you wish to go down this route), any archive strategy should be based on these arguably large but easily manageable collections....  and additional material only included once tested to ensure it is compatible. In other words don't waste storage space (and your money) on holding useless rubbish.

You envision a sort of universal IL2  library with open "read only" access to all, and some selected administrators, acting as librarians, to sift duplications, catalogue, curate and maintain it. The problem as I see it is that all human life is finite and all storage systems are susceptible to corruption or failure.

A good central hub, like SAS, with an active community who hold various pieces of this vast content in various and separate locations ... and who are willing to share with any other member of the community when requested, does fulfil most of what you are seeking to achieve IMHO.  In effect exactly what happens atm.

I am not saying what currently exists is fool-proof though (as nothing is .... given a sufficiently talented fool  :D).  However, in any event, whatever you eventually create, it will become part of this community network and will only strengthen it.

respectfully,

Glynn
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2024, 11:40:01 AM »

My job is to pick up any pieces if he rides his bike under a bus

Dear Glynn,

You better re-read your job description. Here’s the deal: Your official job title is “Chief Grounding Officer” (CGO for short). Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and let’s face it, you’re already in too deep), involves a delightful mix of tasks:

• Gravity Guru: When I’m floating up in my ivory tower, blissfully unaware of earthly matters, you swoop in like a friendly albatross and gently remind me that gravity is a thing. “Feet on the ground, old chap!” you say, as I descend from my lofty daydreams.
  • Mach 2 Whisperer: Now, when I crash-land at Mach 2 (because, let’s be honest, I tend to overshoot reality), you’re there with a metaphorical parachute. You inflate my ego just enough to soften the impact. “Fear not,” you assure me, “you’re still fabulous.”
  • Cassie’s Courier: Ah, Cassie - the elusive muse who flits around like a caffeinated butterfly. Your job? Keep me updated on her latest escapades. Did she discover a new constellation? Invent a quirky dance move? Share it all! My smile depends on it.
  • Tea Tutor Extraordinaire: Now, about British tea secrets. Yes, I know, it’s like deciphering ancient hieroglyphs. But you, my friend, are the Indiana Jones of tea ceremonies. Teach me the delicate art of brewing, the cryptic language of scones, and the mystical properties of Earl Grey. Even if it fails, we’ll have a jolly good laugh.

Remember, CGO, this isn’t just a job - it’s a calling. And if all else fails, we’ll blame it on the weather. Because, as they say, “When in doubt, blame the drizzle.”

Cheers, Your Eternal Tea Apprentice 🍵

]cheers[
Mike

sercrets

• Missioneer
    • Discord:
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2024, 11:41:51 AM »

A good central hub, like SAS, with an active community who hold various pieces of this vast content in various and separate locations ... and who are willing to share with any other member of the community when requested, does fulfil most of what you are seeking to achieve IMHO.  In effect exactly what happens atm.

I am not saying what currently exists is fool-proof though (as nothing is .... given a sufficiently talented fool  :D).  However, in any event, whatever you eventually create, it will become part of this community network and will only strengthen it.

I see your point... And I know the scale of the undertaking is vast... However my issue is this... What happens if someone's computer breaks? Their hard drive is corrupted? What happens if that individual passes on? This system is not meant to replace the community giving back to the community like you have described, this project is simply and attempt to try to centralize the files in the event that someone passes on, we would still have the majority of the things that they had "curated"...

Just food for thought, like you said, whatever becomes of the RRR project it will only strengthen the community, not tear it apart (I hope).

cheers,

sercrets
You get what you give.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2024, 12:05:42 PM »

You know, when I created UCT (UQMG Conversion Tool) so that I could update UQMG Classic  to BAT, a lot of the effort was to convert missions to bring older missions into BAT standard, but using code.

This is not impossible.  People say the future is now, but I say the past is now.
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.  (** Alienware Aurora R7 / i7-8700 3.20GHz / 16GB RAM / Win 10 x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 **)

sercrets

• Missioneer
    • Discord:
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2024, 12:30:27 PM »

You know, when I created UCT (UQMG Conversion Tool) so that I could update UQMG Classic  to BAT, a lot of the effort was to convert missions to bring older missions into BAT standard, but using code.

This is not impossible.  People say the future is now, but I say the past is now.

Whilst this is true, there is not an absolute NEED to update every mission, skin, etc. If people really wanna play those missions it takes maybe an hour or two to patch to the respective modpack that used to run them... It is not ideal, however I do not think we should get hung up on updating everything until we have accomplished the onboarding... Then perhaps we can go through and update them... I wouldnt mind re-doing a few of my favorite campaigns using the new technology we have available in BAT as well as other places...

Really enjoying the discussion and philosophical out look on things, good food for thought

cheers,

sercrets
You get what you give.

sercrets

• Missioneer
    • Discord:
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2024, 10:16:17 AM »

Mike, should this be moved somewhere? I am good wherever but you can decide where to stick it.

In other news, I have done some fiddling with AI and have come up with these inspirational graphics depicting the "monks" hard at work over the material spread before them...

The Monks have drawn round the table in the monastery and have made preparations to commence!

cheers,

sercrets
You get what you give.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2024, 10:21:11 AM »

I'll make up my mind about it tomorrow.
It sure is beyond the Request & Ideas State now.

]cheers[
Mike

sercrets

• Missioneer
    • Discord:
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2024, 10:33:22 AM »

I'll make up my mind about it tomorrow.
It sure is beyond the Request & Ideas State now.

]cheers[
Mike

Rgr, I sent out a new message to all the confirmed monks regarding accounts.

For on lookers, there is still plenty of room if you wish to donate files!
You get what you give.

redbaron96

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2024, 02:25:04 PM »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what were / are 'Eastern Thunder, Operation Barbarossa, The Last Days, Osteroy, Battle Over Europe', were they 'add-on packs' with extra missions / campaigns / aircraft e.t.c.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.